Season 388 - "Upstairs at Derek's - and Lynda's"

Gday mein lovely hosts.I was pleased to find in the world of synth pop(an unknown landscape) a good old misery guts song I liked. Here 'tis. "Winter kills"

Here’s an Erasure track from their fabulous 1987 album ‘The Circus’. I nearly ironed my t-shirt for the occasion! :eek:

Winter Kills

Thanks for hosting a great season!

I did my typical “I don’t know if I will have a song for this week...” thought, then decided to look at the track titles from Yazoo’s First album.

Winter Kills... I thought of Geoff and how this could be a good one for him, then a melody formed in my head, then the words came pretty quickly after that.

Thanks Del and Linda for a new song!

Winter kills the bright and cheerful sun,
ends the year, so recently begun.

Fills the air with chill and bitter snow;
life has come, but quickly it must go.

Winter kills, to cleanse and purge from earth,
what would mar spring’s fresh and coming birth.

Underneath unyielding, deepest frost,
seeds of life, preserved, will not be lost.

Winter kills, but its time soon will pass,
summer sun will shine on greenest grass.

And the life that winter hid away,
will spring forth, into an endless day!

Last edited:
My entry this week is an Original with the same title as one on that first album. At least my title makes sense. Why on earth was the original Yazoo song entitled thus? :rolleyes:

And yet another song covered by Alison Moyet. Jacques Brel apparently wrote this following the break up of his relationship with his mistress "Zizou", who was pregnant with his child - a fact which he refused to acknowledge and which led to a consequent abortion. Nice one, Jacques! The images come from the "Cité" Metro Station in Paris, which looks rather fantastic in a "Fin de Siecle" sort of way.

When I saw this Elvis Costello song on the list of singles released by Alison Moyet, I knew it would be a bit of a challenge. A real finger-tangler - anyone for F#m7b5? Anyway, a couple of days later, and I can almost stumble all the way through it.

First of all, HUGE thanks to Del and Lynda for hosting this week. It's never an easy task to manage your personal life and host. I am very grateful to everyone who hosts and to everyone who participates here to make every season unique and special!

So, I'm really thrilled that Del reached out to me and invited me to work with him on this tune. It seems to have become something of a theme song this week, and I've really enjoyed learning it! Del used some of Lynda's fine drawings for the clip. Del sent me the bed of synth/percussion and harmony vocal tracks. I just added a vocal line and a couple of electric tenor ukulele parts! Once again, I'm amazed how the outcome of a collaboration can be so much than what either participant can do on their own. Thanks again Del~

The title Nobody’s Diary reminded me of an episode of the Heavyweight podcast called Isabel, in which a podcaster finds a suitcase filled with love letters on the curb in Manhattan. I had a lot of feelings about it, and I thought I’d put those feelings to music.

I had inspiration eventually.

Recorded in the car in a Cornish layby waiting for my wife who was out with the walking club while I am on the bench with a knee injury.

Not an entry for this season, but I thought you’d all like to hear another lovely version of ‘Only You’ - this one a collaboration by Linda (turtledrum) and her friend Elisa, which they recorded last year. Some lovely harmonies and a wonderful listen here:

Not an entry for this season, but I thought you’d all like to hear another lovely version of ‘Only You’ - this one a collaboration by Linda (turtledrum) and her friend Elisa, which they recorded last year. Some lovely harmonies and a wonderful listen here:

Del, I am so humbled and honored that you remembered this one!!!! "Only You" is a favorite song ever of mine. This was my second recording of it, which is why I decided not to do another. That you have chosen to make it a part of this terrific Season and include it with all the other fine, fine performances of this song, brings me such joy. Thank you so very much! Linda :)

Here's an Erasure song. The verses have weird timing -- an extra two beats here, an extra measure thrown in there. While I was worrying about trying to get those right, the camera was focusing somewhere other than where the little focus box was showing me. :mad: So this is filmed in Gauze-o-Vision™.

Recorded in the car in a Cornish layby waiting for my wife who was out with the walking club while I am on the bench with a knee injury.
i do hope your knee is better soon! and thank you for such a great vid, i'm still laughing!

guys, i am so enjoying the vids this week! when you pick as the theme, music by a band or bands you love, it's a complete delight to hear all that music on uke! thank you all for all the songs so far this week!

here's a host cover of "situation" by yazoo

Last edited:
Top Bottom