Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for an acoustic amp for a twin output Anuenue Moonbird

Default Suggestions for an acoustic amp for a twin output Anuenue Moonbird

A friend asked me for a recommendation for an amp for her Anuenue Moonbird that has two phono jack outputs. One for the under saddle piezo and one for the internal mic.
    I really don’t know what to suggest. Is a small mixer into a single channel amp the way to go or should she consider an amp that has two instrument inputs?
    Does anyone have one of these Moonbird dual output Ukes being used with an amp? All advice is greatly appreciated.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

A mixer might be good since she would be able to control the volume of each source. An amp with several channels would also work. Another way is to use two amps, one for the piezo & one for the internal mic.

Does she really want to use both pickups at the same time? Would have to deal with two cords, although she could zip tie them together.
    Last edited by ampeep; 07-20-2019 at 09:28 AM.

If she wants to keep it simple, a dedicated acoustic instrument amp will sound best as they tend to have one channel optimized for piezo and the other for a mic. The mostly commonly available are the Roland Acoustic Chorus line and Fishman Loudbox. I'd go with one of the Roland Acoustic Chorus like the AC-60—I like the tone more than the Fishman. Having owned several dual piezo/mic pickups I can say the mic part always drove me nuts in live venues: took a lot of tweaking with EQ and notches to sound right and nix feedback. Now I just use the piezo as it's plug 'n play and reduces cussing in public places.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 07-20-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    If she wants to keep it simple, a dedicated acoustic instrument amp will sound best as they tend to have one channel optimized for piezo and the other for a mic. The mostly commonly available are the Roland Acoustic Chorus line and Fishman Loudbox. I'd go with one of the Roland Acoustic Chorus like the AC-60—I like the tone more than the Fishman. Having owned several dual piezo/mic pickups I can say the mic part always drove me nuts in live venues: took a lot of tweaking with EQ and notches to sound right and nix feedback. Now I just use the piezo as it's plug 'n play and reduces cussing in public places.
    Thanks, that’s a very good approach. I was incorrectly thinking that she would need an amp that had two instrument inputs but any 2 channel amp (instrument and mic) will be fine. I have a Roland AC33 which I like ( I need the battery powered function but my friend doesn’t) and like that sound. I would also suggest she add the ZT Lunchbox Acoustic (200 Watts) to her shortlist which I just acquired and like very much.

I'm a little confused. I thought the ANueNue Air pickup blended the mic and the piezo internally per the way the player sets the two control 'wheels.' Then outputs a single unified signal using a normal 1/4" jack into the instrument input on the amp. Am I missing something?
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    I'm a little confused. I thought the ANueNue Air pickup blended the mic and the piezo internally per the way the player sets the two control 'wheels.' Then outputs a single unified signal using a normal 1/4" jack into the instrument input on the amp. Am I missing something?
    Yes, I thought the same thing. I had an Anuenue Air pickup installed into my Hoffmann concert by HMS and that has only one 1/4 inch pickup jack. But my friends Moonbird was purchased in the UK and is the “Electro” model that has 2 x 1/4inch pickup jacks. One for the piezoelectric under saddle pickup and one for the mic. She tells me that a long double cable was supplied with the Uke. Hence my original enquiry re two channel amps.

What about the Fire Eye Red Eye Twin pre amp. It has 2 inputs with gain and treble for each. It has two outputs BUT it also has a balanced XLR out so you could have just that one cable going out of it and into the mic channel of an acoustic amp.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

The first question you need to ask of your friend is, what do you need an amplifier for?

You don't really need amps for practice. If they are playing at open mics then they will use what's available.
    Are they busking?
    Playing paid gigs?

Dual outputs are for experienced players who already know exactly what they want them for and what they are going to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    What about the Fire Eye Red Eye Twin pre amp. It has 2 inputs with gain and treble for each. It has two outputs BUT it also has a balanced XLR out so you could have just that one cable going out of it and into the mic channel of an acoustic amp.
    Definitely a possible strategy and one that she suggested herself. I’ll let her know about that particular unit. Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    The first question you need to ask of your friend is, what do you need an amplifier for?

You don't really need amps for practice. If they are playing at open mics then they will use what's available.
    Are they busking?
    Playing paid gigs?

Dual outputs are for experienced players who already know exactly what they want them for and what they are going to do with them.
    All good questions and points to consider. I didn’t mention that she is a full time music teacher in a High School and a long time player in the same weekly busking group that I am in and who plays at a local Farmers Market to collect funds for the local Children’s Hospital (I was just told that we collected over $5000 this past year).
    Our group has 3-5 amplified players every week. She is certainly good enough to join this section of the group but I think that she has some other reasons in mind.
    I’ll be continuing my discussion with her next weekend and will ask some relevant questions so any recommendations would be matched to her desired outcomes.

Thread Information