Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for an acoustic amp for a twin output Anuenue Moonbird

The first thing that comes to mind is that stereo outputs are on the instrument for stereo amplifiers. That's what they are intended for. If the intention was to use a single amplifier then they would have used a blend control and a single output. You could go into a single dual channel amplifier as well, yet I guess the point I'm getting at is that stereo/dual outputs were never employed with the intention of utilising a "cheap" amplifier solution. Its about "going big or going home".

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is that stereo outputs are on the instrument for stereo amplifiers. That's what they are intended for. If the intention was to use a single amplifier then they would have used a blend control and a single output. You could go into a single dual channel amplifier as well, yet I guess the point I'm getting at is that stereo/dual outputs were never employed with the intention of utilising a "cheap" amplifier solution. Its about "going big or going home".
    Itís interesting to note that in both versions of this pickup ( one with two separate output jacks and one with just a single (which is the one I had installed in my Hoffmann by HMS)), have two volume wheels mounted in the sound hole. One controls volume for the under saddle and one for the mic, so I donít think it was ever designed as a stereo output.
    If anyone knows why Anuenue would release two very different versions of a pickup design that do the same thing, Iíd like to know. Or am I missing something here? What is the benefit of the dual outputs/dual cable configuration?
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    It’s interesting to note that in both versions of this pickup ( one with two separate output jacks and one with just a single (which is the one I had installed in my Hoffmann by HMS)), have two volume wheels mounted in the sound hole. One controls volume for the under saddle and one for the mic, so I don’t think it was ever designed as a stereo output.
    If anyone knows why Anuenue would release two very different versions of a pickup design that do the same thing, I’d like to know. Or am I missing something here? What is the benefit of the dual outputs/dual cable configuration?
    Its for running stereo amplifiers. Some people are into that and it was big in electric guitars in the 80's that I can remember.

Either for a stereo "soundscape" or for running different sound effects on different amps.
    It's most definitely not the cheap way of doing things.

A mono mix with mostly piezo with a wee bit of internal mic blended is a lot more practical for live playing. My Prefix PRO Blend pickup system has a stereo jack and I use a Y-stereo cable with two mono jacks to split the pickup output. I've played a few wedding ceremonies with two Trace Acoustic Cubes and, while it was nicer than just using the piezo, the setup was a grand pain in the arse. Plus, you need two amps, two amp stands, special cables and at least 30 minutes for setup (move amps around for optimal position, EQ and notch the internal condenser so it doesn't feedback, etc).

In guitar circles anyway, there is a view that internal( EDIT (microphones)) sound much better except for the low frequencies that are very boomy with the internal mic and susceptible to feedback. The piezo element is still useful for the low end.

So you split the microphone from the pickup and send them to different channels in say a Fender Acoustic 100

what you can do is send the piezo signal to one channel and set it up so that its only amplifying the bass signals by cutting the mids and highs and then sending the internal mic to the other channel and cutting the lows out. Then blend to taste.

There are various things you can do yet the take home message is that dual/stereo outputs are for experts who know what and why they are using them. It was never meant to be the cost effective option.
    Last edited by anthonyg; 07-21-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    A mono mix with mostly piezo with a wee bit of internal mic blended is a lot more practical for live playing. My Prefix PRO Blend pickup system has a stereo jack and I use a Y-stereo cable with two mono jacks to split the pickup output. I've played a few wedding ceremonies with two Trace Acoustic Cubes and, while it was nicer than just using the piezo, the setup was a grand pain in the arse. Plus, you need two amps, two amp stands, special cables and at least 30 minutes for setup (move amps around for optimal position, EQ and notch the internal condenser so it doesn't feedback, etc).
    A cost/benefit analysis makes that proposition very unattractive in my mind. I think that my friend will opt to just combine the separate signals as easily as possible.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Kustom PA50/PowerWerks PW50 will accomplish your stated task for a hunsky!

Thread Information