Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Have Anyone Teach You

Default If You Could Have Anyone Teach You

The thread of If You Could Buy Any Ukulele seems to have morphed into using that pretend blank check to have someone teach you. Not a bad discussion, so I thought I'd start a separate thread for it. And, in this case, we might be able to at least find some YouTubes or other sources where we could actually follow through a bit with the teachers of our dreams.

So, if you were handed a blank check, and told it had to be used to pay someone to teach you ukulele, who would you hire?

I suppose I'd go with Jake Shimabukuro, since he seems very patient, (that would be very necessary!), very clear in the videos I've seen of him explaining things, and whether you like his style or not, he's clearly very talented.

I'm someone who fingerpicks and doesn't sing, so that seems like a good fit, too.

Though I think what I'd really like is someone to help me learn to make my own arrangements of songs. I suppose I could ask Jake to do that, too, as long as I've got that magical pretend blank check to keep paying him.

Kimo Hussey, I like his style of play, mostly strummig, with a pincer of thumb and pointer. He makes it look so easy, but I'm sure it's not.
    John

Ohta-san for finger picking

Uncle Rod Higuchi in ukulele boot camp for strumming and singing

DownUpDave for shopping
    Last edited by yahalele; 07-20-2019 at 10:40 PM.

I've gone to workshops by two awesome teachers ......Kimo Hussey, and Stu Fuchs. They both have a very easy, gentle teaching style, and would be so much fun to learn from. I got a 1-2 day taste of their teaching, and would be happy to have more.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Kimo Hussey, I like his style of play, mostly strummig, with a pincer of thumb and pointer. He makes it look so easy, but I'm sure it's not.
    Yes, Kimo Hussey.
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Mahog laminate.

+1 for Kimo. His style of rhythmic chord melody is mesmerizing and elusive. I have tried replicating his sound and I can't figure out how he does it.

Del Rey and George Elmes

Brook Adams. He did the workshops at the first ukulele festival that I attended. He also came up to me while I was at an open house sponsored by Boat Paddle ukuleles the evening before the festival started and told me that a few of them were going into the shop to "jam" a little. He asked me if I wanted to join in. I told him that I had just started playing the ukulele and that I was afraid that I was not up to jamming with them, but I would like to watch. His words were, "not going to be any watching, just come back, jump in, and if you get lost mute the strings and strum the hell out of them. I'll call out the chord." That was a huge turning point in my ukulele playing. He really took me way out of my comfort zone that evening. He is so talented and I would love to connect up with him and get some lessons.

http://brookadams.com/
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Stu Fuchs has a Patreon site where there are video teaching sessions several times a month, some with tabs and some not. Some are teaching songs and some are technique lessons.

UU, of course, has a lot of lessons available, and I did use those when first starting out. I may go back there in the future, when I have more time for digging around for fun things to learn.

A good place to learn, (and then catch UAS here on the forum.)

Thread Information