Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If You Could Have Anyone Teach You

Hands down and geography notwithstanding, I'd choose face-to-face lessons with either Benny Chong or Byron Yasui.

Being one of the very few face-to-face 'ukulele instructors in my region, I rely on Skype to connect with my own teachers. I currently study under The Uke Room proprietor Matt Stead via Skype (and am very satisfied, I might add), but I've also had particularly good lessons with Bryan Tolentino. Great teachers whose workshops I've attended include Kimo Hussey, Bryan Tolentino, and Daniel Ward.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

After some thought, I think that's my answer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CPG View Post
    Tobias Elof. I love his unique style. He's so good with using open strings and it gives him such a full sound. Plus he studied with James Hill so it would kinda be a two-for-one.

Quote Originally Posted by CPG View Post
    Tobias Elof. I love his unique style. He's so good with using open strings and it gives him such a full sound. Plus he studied with James Hill so it would kinda be a two-for-one.
    Thank you. I hadn't heard of Tobias Elof, though I've heard of James Hill and have taken his online, "The Ukulele Way Course". So I looked for Tobias on YouTube and found a nice lesson called "Cheri Picking". At first I didn't get it, as to the chords and notes he's playing, as he's using a D tuning. That makes it even more fun, exploring using that tuning. It's sweet.

She's amazing.

I forgot to mention that I would also like to take lessons with Aldrine, and in fact did sign up for the UU+ annual subscription, but it was at a time when I could not work on it continuously, but will try again in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Having had short workshops at the NJ Uke Fest on a few different occasions with Lil' Rev, Sarah Maisel, and Danielle Ate the Sandwich, I would love to have longer term lessons from each of them, as well as with James Hill (who also taught Tobias Elof).

Each of them have unique gifts that I feel would be of great benefit to me if I could learn and eventually re-master them as part of my own style.

Also, I'd love to have a few sessions with Jake to discuss his approach to songwriting (having written my own songs on guitar for over 35 yrs, and ukulele for 6 yrs now) and have high esteem for both Jake's music as well as his technique.

Of course, I also would like to try a few lessons from Jake too...

Two others that really stand out for me are both Jim Beloff and Aaron Keim. I also love their styles of playing.

There are also many other wonderful players out there, but I know not of their lessons availability, and unless there is an option for Skype/FaceTime, geography might be a limiting factor...
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Okay I might get flamed for this but hey its either truth and/or my opinion so take it for what it is.

Teacher: Jake Shimabukuro. I feel he has a lot to offer from skills to knowledge to theory.

Taimane I would say no for two reasons.
    1. Her presence is distracting and not in a bad way.
    2. I have to say this, I starting to feel she is a one trick pony. There I said it! That girl can play, she can shred, but I find more and more things sound great no matter what you do if you hit the strings at a shredding speed. Just my opinion. Also note I do own one of her albums and enjoy it.

Thread Information