Busking anyone? Tips and tricks.

@rlink, I always ask passers by who their favorite artists are and play those songs. I've never scored less than $200 bucks using this method.

Wow. You know a lot of songs. Good for you. Smart thinking.

It is a problem sometimes and there is a lot of discussion. Some people put up a sign that says that they accept VENMO or something like that. I don't know how that works. There is actually, no surprise, a busking site that is putting together some vehicle to pay buskers. I'm a member of the group, but I don't do enough serious busking to warrant the attention. I'm not trying to make a living at it, so I don't go to any length to get tips. I take what I can get in cash. But I've had people put all kinds of things in my case in leu of money. Cans of beer, cans of soda, bags of chips, candy bars, a guy gave me some kind of coin that had the USS Intrepid engraved on it. Looks like he got it at the souvenir shop.

https://busk.co/blog/busking-tips-tricks/android-pay-apple-pay-paypal-card-payments-buskers/

I have my songs memorized. I do take my Kindle with me most of the time, just in case I want to expand my repertoire. But you're busking, people might stick around for two or three songs, most not that much. You don't have to have as many songs as if you are doing a coffee shop gig. I have my dirty dozen and I loop them. What with joking around and talking to people, I can go forty five minutes or so before I start over. There's a guy I know who does quite well with the tourists down at the pier where the cruise ships come in. I think he has six songs that he does. I have a lot of songs committed to memory but my dirty dozen are my favorites and I like playing them well enough that I can comment or say a thank you without losing the song. So I lean on them a lot. I also switch songs in and out of the list, depending on where I'll be. I tape the list on the back of my uke, just so that I can remember what I've done and what I have to do.

A lot of buskers here sell cd's and have those portable card readers. The demise of the cash economy is definitely changing things. Panhandlers are especially affected because I doubt anyone will Venmo them anything.

@rlink, I always ask passers by who their favorite artists are and play those songs. I've never scored less than $200 bucks using this method.

You are way out of my league. I'm but an amateur comparatively. I bow to you. I think that if I ended up with two hundred bucks in one outing I would start slapping myself around to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Do you need a permit to busk?

I don't carry cash & don't have a smart phone, so I guess I could never pay a busker.

My area doesn't seem to have buskers, but there is one guy who has a job playing his mandolin during tax season in front of a company that prepares taxes. I have seen him over the years as I've driven by, but this year was walking in the area and stopped to talk to him. Turns out, I was the first person to stop and acknowledge him. People know he's there and use him as a landmark, ("you know where that guy stands outside & plays an instrument? Go a block north of that...."), but don't bother to listen or talk to him.

I admire those of you who can perform for the public.

Do you need a permit to busk?

I don't carry cash & don't have a smart phone, so I guess I could never pay a busker.

My area doesn't seem to have buskers, but there is one guy who has a job playing his mandolin during tax season in front of a company that prepares taxes. I have seen him over the years as I've driven by, but this year was walking in the area and stopped to talk to him. Turns out, I was the first person to stop and acknowledge him. People know he's there and use him as a landmark, ("you know where that guy stands outside & plays an instrument? Go a block north of that...."), but don't bother to listen or talk to him.

I admire those of you who can perform for the public.

Poor guy!

In NYC, I regularly see buskers in the subways. Many of the stations have designated performance areas, but some will set up in any regularly-trafficked station. Some of the larger stations will have multiple buskers, and there's always this weird area where their music overlaps since it carries so well. Fun or not, though, it's extremely hot in most of those stations, especially during the summer. I try to dig up a few bucks at least for the more impressive buskers, when I have it. Bought a CD once as well. But I always feel bad because I usually don't have much, if any, cash on me. And I don't think I've seen anyone using credit card readers or QR codes yet.

When I hung out with my friend about 15 years ago when he busked at Santa Monica Place, he needed to have a city permit. There were very strict rules about volume, time spent in one location and distance from businesses and nearby busker.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I have my songs memorized. I do take my Kindle with me most of the time, just in case I want to expand my repertoire. But you're busking, people might stick around for two or three songs, most not that much. You don't have to have as many songs as if you are doing a coffee shop gig. I have my dirty dozen and I loop them. What with joking around and talking to people, I can go forty five minutes or so before I start over. There's a guy I know who does quite well with the tourists down at the pier where the cruise ships come in. I think he has six songs that he does. I have a lot of songs committed to memory but my dirty dozen are my favorites and I like playing them well enough that I can comment or say a thank you without losing the song. So I lean on them a lot. I also switch songs in and out of the list, depending on where I'll be. I tape the list on the back of my uke, just so that I can remember what I've done and what I have to do.

If you are willing, I'd be curious to hear what your dirty dozen list is.

If you are willing, I'd be curious to hear what your dirty dozen list is.
Right now they are;

1. Mercedes Benz (always my warmup because I can belt it out cold.
2. Volcano Jimmy Buffett.
3. City of New Orleans Arlo Guthrie I like to finger pick it.
4. Guitars Cadillacs Dwight Yoakum.
5. One Toke Over the Line. Brewer and Shipley
6. Love Me Tender. Elvis
7. The Times They Are a Changin’. Bob Dylan
8. Hello Mary Lou. Ricky Nelson
9. House of the Rising Sun.
10.Margaritaville Jimmy Buffett
11.Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. Otis Redding
12.Don't Think Twice Bob Dylan Finger picked

Sometimes I will throw in House of Gold by Twenty-one Pilots if I have a younger crowd, Nowhere Man if I get asked to do a Beatles song. Sometimes I sing Bottle of Wine. They change around. I'm not a structured person. If something comes to mind and I feel like playing it I will. I'm not stuck on the list. It is just a guide in case my brain shuts down and I can't think of a song to play next. I know a lot of songs by memory, but I'm not confident enough to pull them all out of my pocket and play a lot of them out on the street with all the distractions. So I get on a rampage where I will practice a song until I am more confident and then throw it in the mix. Take one out that I'm tired of singing. Sometimes I just get the urge and do something even though I probably shouldn't. There's one by Jimmy Buffett called "Were you Born an Azzhole." I save that one for hardcore hecklers. Sometimes I do Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun and then if that goes over well I'll do it to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

It isn't just the songs. There is a lot of joking around and talking people up. You have to have body language. You have to be outgoing. If you just stand there and play songs no one is going to stop to listen. You have to have presence. Presence is on the job training. You can't practice it in the basement. I work on presence as much as I do my music.

I try to have fun with it. I'm not in it for the money, the money is just part of the game. I'm in it for the fun and the opportunity to share my music with people. To me it is a gig that I can get anytime I feel like it. It is a chance to sing and play for people. There's no pressure.

Last edited:
Right now they are;

1. Mercedes Benz (always my warmup because I can belt it out cold.
2. Volcano Jimmy Buffett.
3. City of New Orleans Arlo Guthrie I like to finger pick it.
4. Guitars Cadillacs Dwight Yoakum.
5. One Toke Over the Line. Brewer and Shipley
6. Love Me Tender. Elvis
7. The Times They Are a Changin’. Bob Dylan
8. Hello Mary Lou. Ricky Nelson
9. House of the Rising Sun.
10.Margaritaville Jimmy Buffett
11.Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. Otis Redding
12.Don't Think Twice Bob Dylan Finger picked

Sometimes I will throw in House of Gold by Twenty-one Pilots if I have a younger crowd, Nowhere Man if I get asked to do a Beatles song. Sometimes I sing Bottle of Wine. They change around. I'm not a structured person. If something comes to mind and I feel like playing it I will. I'm not stuck on the list. It is just a guide in case my brain shuts down and I can't think of a song to play next. I know a lot of songs by memory, but I'm not confident enough to pull them all out of my pocket and play a lot of them out on the street with all the distractions. So I get on a rampage where I will practice a song until I am more confident and then throw it in the mix. Take one out that I'm tired of singing. Sometimes I just get the urge and do something even though I probably shouldn't. There's one by Jimmy Buffett called "Were you Born an Azzhole." I save that one for hardcore hecklers. Sometimes I do Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun and then if that goes over well I'll do it to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

It isn't just the songs. There is a lot of joking around and talking people up. You have to have body language. You have to be outgoing. If you just stand there and play songs no one is going to stop to listen. You have to have presence. Presence is on the job training. You can't practice it in the basement. I work on presence as much as I do my music.

I try to have fun with it. I'm not in it for the money, the money is just part of the game. I'm in it for the fun and the opportunity to share my music with people. To me it is a gig that I can get anytime I feel like it. It is a chance to sing and play for people. There's no pressure.

That's a really nice collection of songs. I wish I knew that many. In time I guess. Do you really get hecklers? I guess you'd meet lots of people. One of my daughter's favorite people is a busker who takes a baby grand to the park every weekend, and has people lining up for the opportunity to lie down underneath it while he plays. Supposedly the vibrations feel really good. Living all my life in large cities, it's easy to take buskers for granted, but buskers definitely add to the quality of life. They can change your entire mood, put a smile on your face, and make you feel like dancing, all while you're simply walking down the street.

That's a really nice collection of songs. I wish I knew that many. In time I guess. Do you really get hecklers? I guess you'd meet lots of people. One of my daughter's favorite people is a busker who takes a baby grand to the park every weekend, and has people lining up for the opportunity to lie down underneath it while he plays. Supposedly the vibrations feel really good. Living all my life in large cities, it's easy to take buskers for granted, but buskers definitely add to the quality of life. They can change your entire mood, put a smile on your face, and make you feel like dancing, all while you're simply walking down the street.
Not very often, but they are memorable. I used to play a particular street festival and I would play it later at night. I would get drunks and they would want to have fun. No big deal. Just have fun with them.

I've never tried it. I'm horrible at memorizing songs. I'd have to take along my iPad with OnSong on it (Over 100 songs so far) and mount it on a stand like I do for shows. That's taking a huge chance that somebody could steal it.
Our trio was asked to do it in front of a store a few miles from here, I told her "not during summer'', and she said, "no, I meant when the weather is cool and the tourists return."
So I flipped her our card, and asked her to call me, I think we could do that.
A duet or trio might work, if someone has to go to the loo, the other can watch the ukes and stuff.
The most talented busker I've ever heard is Estes Tonne, guitarist. He's on YouTube.

Top Bottom