Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Downside to super scale necks?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Anthony makes a great point! I like the combination of the small soprano-style body with the slightly longer concert scale neck. And the little extra bit of string tension associated with the longer neck adds a nice firm "feel" to standard "gCEA" tuning (which otherwise sometimes feels a little "floppy" to me, on a soprano scale).
    String selection for super tenors is hard

I'd have thought baritone strings would work(?).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I'd have thought baritone strings would work(?).
    The selection of strings for baritone tunes as GCEA is small.. but yes that is where I settled
    Also super soprano scale is the same as concert, super concert scale is same as tenor but super tenor often is shorter than baritone.. which adds further complications to string tension
    Last edited by kerneltime; 07-24-2019 at 03:57 AM.

If t'were me, I'd also try some concert scale fluorocarbons too, if they're long enough - I use them on my tenor scale ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    String selection for super tenors is hard
    not if you're ok with Bb (or lower) tuning.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

One possible downside is some models require a custom longer case. If you’re flying you might not want that extra length. In the case of my longneck soprano it fits in a standard soprano case.
    Last edited by etudes; 07-24-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

For super tenor strings I wouldn't pay much attention to string labels like concert, tenor, etc. Go with strings gauges that sound and feel good. For example, I'm mainly a finger picker and like a .022" fluorocarbon as an A string on most of my tenors. On the longer neck tenor it's okay but on the tight side. So I use a .0205" and it's perfect. In fact the thinner string sounds better to me: longer sustain and nicer tone. Of course string choice depends on the bracing, string action and your playing style, e.g., if you're a hard strummer or have low action you'd want a little heavier string.

I have a Ko'Aloha soprano with a tenor neck that I love for strumming. You get a classic Hawaiian sound but with a neck that is easier to navigate. But if I'm finger picking or doing chord melody it of course doesn't have nearly the sustain of an actual tenor (at least at my skill level). Often I'll take both and switch depending on the song.
    Tenors: Rebel Elysium, Kimo "El Diablo" custom, Kanile'a Platinum Pinneaple, MyaMoe custom, RISA stick, Ohana TK35G-5 5 string, Gretch G9120
    Concert: Vox solid body electric, Cripple Creek cigar box
    Soprano: KoAloha T2 Tenor neck, Tyde "Little Rusty", 1940s Martin style 3, Kamoa, Kala
    Sopranino: Tyde
    Banjolele: 1920s Concertone, Southern Cross Concert, Southern Cross UB-2 style, Kala
    Other: 8 string Tahitian

In some ways long neck/super scale neck ukuleles are really smaller bodied ukuleles. Rather than look at the advantages/disadvantages of the scale, maybe looking at the disadvantages of an undersized sound box. After all the neck doesnít produce the sound, and getting a soprano size body with a tenor neck is more about the comfort of holding the smaller body than the comfort of the scale. Otherwise just buy a standard tenor.

The disadvantage, sound-wise, is being able to build (soundboard, bracing, etc) a small body that can handle the higher tension of a longer scale without choking out the tone. I think that is the real challenge and potential downside.

John

I, personally, would agree, that they are small bodied ukes, but I use the 'general' classification so that everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I have LN sopranos & concerts, as well as my 'giraffe' neck soprano, love 'em all.

I also have a tenor scale RISA Uke Ellie, effectively a long neck 'soprano', size wise, but very different indeed.

Then there are my tenor & concert RISA Solid ukes, they don't even have a body as such.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 07-25-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Thread Information