Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Expanding my ukulele universe

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,746

    Default

    Very inspirational, thanks for sharing. You have come so far from when you first started. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    I had a fairly major operation on three fingers of my left hand requiring over 50 stitches. That was 3 months ago and I have just started trying to form chords. Lots of physio with constent hand exercises and it's slowly improving. My big stretch will be singing solo without playing a uke at an upcoming uke jam. My playing partner Tim will play accompaniment.

    Good luck with your Church solo.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Very inspirational, thanks for sharing. You have come so far from when you first started. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    I had a fairly major operation on three fingers of my left hand requiring over 50 stitches. That was 3 months ago and I have just started trying to form chords. Lots of physio with constent hand exercises and it's slowly improving. My big stretch will be singing solo without playing a uke at an upcoming uke jam. My playing partner Tim will play accompaniment.

    Good luck with your Church solo.
    A singing solo ......you are brave. Have fun with it.

    Prayers for your continued hand recovery. The ukulele is a perfect piece of PT equipment.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I had a fairly major operation on three fingers of my left hand requiring over 50 stitches. That was 3 months ago and I have just started trying to form chords. Lots of physio with constent hand exercises and it's slowly improving. My big stretch will be singing solo without playing a uke at an upcoming uke jam. My playing partner Tim will play accompaniment.
    Glad your hand is improving Dave. Singing solo without an ukulele can be a lot of fun. It actually allows you to interact more with the audience. If you mentally divide the audience into sections and look towards each section as you are singing. The people will swear you are looking directly at them individually. (I scoffed until I tried it. It works!) Just relax and have fun. The audience will respond in kind.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    —Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,125

    Default

    You go girl!
    Today we will graduate 15 kids in our ukulele summer kamp program called Making Ukulele Music.
    These kids are beautiful, they are well behaved, they help each other, and they thank us every day when we dismiss class.
    I look at each one of them as a little miracle!
    My wife, and our bestie, and I have played in ALFs for over 3 years now, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. We do our best to play their requests. One show, next month, is an Aloha show, and we're learning so much Hawaiian music! I can pronounce most of the words now, I have no idea what they mean, but it doesn't matter!

    Dave, congrats on getting better!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Bravo RG! The whole point is to play the instrument, bring music out into the world and sweeten your soul. I'm glad you've been able to find great musical companions both in ukulele acquisitions and people. And you keep expanding your sphere of where to share your joy.

    I have enjoyed reading your posts about your ukulele Journey and have coveted every ukulele you ever purchased. I share your taste :-) but I most appreciate hearing about how you are learning and expanding your horizons.

    I have devoted lots of time and energy to learning my instrument. Stepping out to Lead is another step. It's only because you care that you have some trepidation. Making mistakes is part of the journey. I can say after several years of offering workshops now and then it does get easier. In fact the last time I offered a swing song sing-along at a music festival was the first time I felt completely competent and in control. I am usually full of self critiques and wish I had done blah blah blah. But this time it couldn't have been better :-) I look forward to hearing a similar report from you in the future.
    KoAlana Sapele Concert -- now known as the KoAloha Opio
    Mainland Mahogany Concert - my knockabout jam ukulele
    Mahalo Pineapple Soprano -- the one that started it all
    Kala Travel Soprano -- tiny profile with BIG sound
    Blue Frog Maple Soprano - Beautiful sonorous sound cannon

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubykey View Post
    Bravo RG! The whole point is to play the instrument, bring music out into the world and sweeten your soul. I'm glad you've been able to find great musical companions both in ukulele acquisitions and people. And you keep expanding your sphere of where to share your joy.

    I have enjoyed reading your posts about your ukulele Journey and have coveted every ukulele you ever purchased. I share your taste :-) but I most appreciate hearing about how you are learning and expanding your horizons.

    I have devoted lots of time and energy to learning my instrument. Stepping out to Lead is another step. It's only because you care that you have some trepidation. Making mistakes is part of the journey. I can say after several years of offering workshops now and then it does get easier. In fact the last time I offered a swing song sing-along at a music festival was the first time I felt completely competent and in control. I am usually full of self critiques and wish I had done blah blah blah. But this time it couldn't have been better :-) I look forward to hearing a similar report from you in the future.
    Thanks rubykey. My biggest takeaway from my first teaching experience was to keep my expectations more fluid. How I saw it going in my head, wasn't how it went. But that's ok. What might be easy for me, was too hard for some, and too easy for others. Finding a middle ground, where everybody gets something out of it is the goal.

    For tomorrow at church ......I'll say a prayer, take a deep breath, and make a joyful noise unto the Lord.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    My solo went great at church this morning. I was super nervous when I arrived at church, but after the band rehearsed all of our other songs for the service, I calmed down. I took a deep breath & said a quick prayer. I made it through with no mess-ups, and I didn't faint from stress. All good. I got lots of compliments from the congregation members. "How Great Thou Art" is such a beautiful hymn, and a favorite of many people. It sounds fantastic on a ukulele. A big shout out to our sound man. He turned up my volume for the solo, which helped a lot.

    On a technical note .....I normally use a Boss TU-3 tuner pedal as my tuner/mute switch. I recently added a Boss AD-2 acoustic preamp pedal as well. It adds reverb and resonance, and it sounds really good.

    Thanks to everyone for the good vibes. To all of you that are trying out something challenging, just tell yourself .....You Got This!
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Great! Future solos will be easier to do.

    Any chance you could post a video of this.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

    Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    2018
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    2019
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila
    Donner DUC-3 Concert Spruce/Mahogany gCEA Donner

    CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner
    Donner tuner

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacole View Post
    Great! Future solos will be easier to do.

    Any chance you could post a video of this.
    Unfortunately, no one did a video today at church. When I get a chance, I'll make a video of it at home. It's a very simple version of the song, which I think really makes it beautiful.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •