Capo Question...

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
Although this question is specific to my inexpensive nylon string guitar, I suppose it could apply to any guitar. If we place a capo at the first or second fret, does that eliminate concerns about imperfections in the way the nut was slotted, as the capo becomes the new "stopping point" for the strings? It seems like my nylon string guitar just performs better all around, when I put the capo on.

pretty much. nut issues could still potentially cause buzzes or make tuning more difficult even with the capo on but the capo will eliminate any nut action issues.

On my CS-40 Yamaha I capo on second fret in order to have no buzzing of the strings. Using the capo on 1st fret on my Aria A 20-53 to avoid buzzing.

Last edited:
Changing a nut is not that difficult if that is what is required.

If you have buzz or prefer it when you use a capo then you have set up issues, and these can be solved.

One of my Ukes has a zero fret which is akin to using a capo and that makes the tone far better of open played strings.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I really appreciate them. I wonder if there are any nylon-string guitars with the zero-fret feature?

I remember many years ago seeing a flamenco-style guitarist named Carlos Montoya on TV, and I was struck by the fact that he used a capo on the second fret. I always wondered if that might've been because it narrowed down his first-position width just enough to make playing more comfortable?

My friend says that he likes capo 3 for his finger size. I also feel that too. But capo changes tuning and scale length, I do not use capo for my comfort.

I wonder if there are any nylon-string guitars with the zero-fret feature?

and I was struck by the fact that he used a capo on the second fret. I always wondered if that might've been because it narrowed down his first-position width just enough to make playing more comfortable?
There must be, but I've never gone looking for one. I have a couple ukes by well respected makers with them.

Using a capo will decrease your fret spacing and increase your finger spacing. Either could be a factor in playing comfort.

Theoretically yes, but it makes the neck shorter and you may lose some intonation. It is much better to fix the problem than to live with a permanent band-aid.

Mosrite still have zero frets. The sound of open strings are same as fretted strings. And requires not much skill for nuts.

Last edited:
There must be, but I've never gone looking for one. I have a couple ukes by well respected makers with them.

Using a capo will decrease your fret spacing and increase your finger spacing. Either could be a factor in playing comfort.

Jim, you're exactly right, I hadn't realized that it would really be the decreased fret spacing (with capo on) that creates the sensation of a more comfortable "feel"; and the neck width (finger spacing) is in fact actually increasing slightly in that example, contrary to my initial assertion that it's decreasing.

Hi Bill,

I'm not knowledgable enough to comment on your 'nut' question, but I have just bought my first 'travel guitar' which has a slightly shorter scale length with its knock on effect on fret spacing, and it's very comfortable to play compared to my big guitars, so I would certainly endorse THAT side of this topic as mentioned above.

Hope you're well matey. Dave

Hi Dave, and thanks for your thoughts! I hope you're enjoying your new shorter-scale acoustic! Things are going well here. I have recently delved back into the nylon-string guitar after many years away from it, and I'm finding it to be a lot of fun, after adjusting to its size (compared to the uke) and the 5th and 6th strings! This was all triggered by my just randomly stumbling across a solo instrumental song called "This Time", by guitarist Earl Klugh, on which he uses a nylon-string. It was one of those moments where you say, "I've got to try and learn this before I die!" So I got myself an $89.00 classical guitar, tweaked it a little, and I've been working on "This Time" for a few weeks now. I've never been much of a "tab" reader, so I'm trying to figure it out just by listening over and over to tiny little segments, and also watching videos of Earl actually performing it, and I'm making pretty decent progress. I'm also a fan of Ed Gerhard, and he has a beautiful song called "Brothers", which affected me a lot because I'm lucky to have three awesome brothers of my own. Ed uses a steel-string, but like many songs, this one adapts well to nylon, and I've been working on it too. So, as a result I've been a little bit away from the uke Forum lately! Hoping that things are well with you and your family! Have a great weekend!

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I really appreciate them. I wonder if there are any nylon-string guitars with the zero-fret feature?

I remember many years ago seeing a flamenco-style guitarist named Carlos Montoya on TV, and I was struck by the fact that he used a capo on the second fret. I always wondered if that might've been because it narrowed down his first-position width just enough to make playing more comfortable?

Hi, Bill! Takamine is a leading guitar company in Japan. They makes many high end guitars and order made guitars. Their ukuleles are also high end and very good. Their models have zero frets and the action is low.

Thanks, Yaha! I'll check out the Takamine line! As I recall, Glenn Frey (may he rest in peace) of the Eagles was a fan of them!

Yes, that's kind of how it works. The capo kind of takes the place of the nut. It's a decent way to test your guitar to see where the buzz is coming from, but it also changes all of your open chords keys. If you are having nut problems, it's better to just get it fixed rather than trying to work with the capo.

Yes, that's kind of how it works. The capo kind of takes the place of the nut. It's a decent way to test your guitar to see where the buzz is coming from, but it also changes all of your open chords keys. If you are having nut problems, it's better to just get it fixed rather than trying to work with the capo.

Just finding this, sorry! Thanks, "whattheuke"! I am grateful for your thoughts!

Top Bottom