Looking for songbooks

aremick

Reaction score
I once found a site with various ukulele songbook pdfs - Carter Family, Arlo Guthrie, Hank Williams, Delmore Brothers, Doc Watson...

Does anyone have a link to that site?

Never mind, found it.

Thanks, von biber!

I had to reply without a link, then edit my reply to add a link to get it to work...

Thank you for sharing the link - lots of good folks listed on the site.

I love that so many resources are available, but I am so sad when they don't have traditional notation...especially the songs in the public domain (I was just looking at the Irish Songs and the Stephen Foster songs). If you don't know the melody, you are just out of luck with the song!

Since my last update I've been busy adding more songs, and other songbooks.
I have to reorganize before I upload the ones that are ready, and most importantly,
I have to decide when to stop adding more...

@choirguy
True
Ideally lyrics and chords above a score would be the best...
But the way I see it, especially for those of us who don't really read music,
showing the lyrics with the chords is a support to help you after (while) you listened
to the song.
I also tried to keep it as simple as possible.
Anyways, I remember playing my CDs of John Prine and trying to play along
(with a capo for some of the songs).
After all, quite a few musicians play and learn by ear.

http://vonbiber.byethost17.com/ukulele/songs.html

Last edited:
Thanks for making your books. I'm not sure if I asked this before, but if you could make a linked table of contents, when your books are imported to, say, ForScore, we could have it use the bookmarks to find the songs, and they'd be individually listed in alphabetical order with our other songs. That said, your John Prine songbook is so popular in my uke group that one of the members took it apart and retitled each page so individual songs are easy to find.

I hope you don't stop adding more!

Since my last update I've been busy adding more songs, and other songbooks.
I have to reorganize before I upload the ones that are ready, and most importantly,
I have to decide when to stop adding more...

@choirguy
True
Ideally lyrics and chords above a score would be the best...
But the way I see it, especially for those of us who don't really read music,
showing the lyrics with the chords is a support to help you after (while) you listened
to the song.
I also tried to keep it as simple as possible.
Anyways, I remember playing my CDs of John Prine and trying to play along
(with a capo for some of the songs).
After all, quite a few musicians play and learn by ear.

http://vonbiber.byethost17.com/ukulele/songs.html

Thanks for making your books.
Thanks. Glad to hear they are useful.

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but if you could make a linked table of contents, when your books are imported to, say, ForScore, we could have it use the bookmarks to find the songs, and they'd be individually listed in alphabetical order with our other songs.
You mean a TOC with links to each song title? This would entail uploading on the server files for each individual song.
I don't know about MacOS or MS-Windows (I use Linux) but I'm sure there exist a tool that can extract individual pages
from a pdf file.
That said, your John Prine songbook is so popular in my uke group that one of the members took it apart and retitled each page so individual songs are easy to find.
It's good to know that JP is getting popular.
I hope you don't stop adding more!
okay, I won't

I don't think you have to do the TOC that way, with each page separate on the server. As I understand it, you just bookmark each song in the document and have the TOC link to the bookmarks. But I could definitely be wrong.

I use PDF Expert on my iPad to extract pages and series of pages. I'm sure there's something that could do it on my computer that would be faster and easier, but I haven't found anything that's remotely affordable for that. Linux probably has something that's free and good.

Yes I'm sort of a JP evangelist. I saw him in concert last month, too. He was great, the venue was awful. I hope he gets over this latest health issue quickly.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom