Uli uli A Hawaiian maraca

Cassie

Reaction score
Aloha, I just received an Uli uli For my birthday a couple of days ago. I have read when playing them, you don't just shake them like you would a regular Maraca. If anyone knows how to play them, can you please give me a brief description of how to hold it correctly as well as the proper way to make the rattling sound. Please do remember, I am blind so I will need as good a description as you can possibly give me so I can follow you.

Last edited:
Aloha, I just received an Uli uli For my birthday a couple of days ago. I have read when playing them, you don't just shake them like you would a regular Maraca. If anyone knows how to play them, can you please give me a brief description of how to hold it correctly as well as the proper way to make the rattling sound. Please do remember, I am blind so I will need as good a description as you can possibly give me so I can follow you.
I have recently become legally blind...having a hard time reading the chords...any suggestioins. Carol caradon at telus dot net.

The person in the video shows her grasping the handle with the thumb just above the coconut and her palm around the coconut. By loosley holding it mostly by your thumb and index finger, it balances and can move freely as you twist your wrist. The motion is to rock your wrist thereby by swiveling it back and forth. You do not shake it.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom