Upcoming release of Enya Carbon Ukulele

I'd caution you that the sound in that video is NOT in fact the natural sound of the instrument and seems obvious to me that there is both reverb and compression added in post-production.

The smart bet would be to wait until Baz does a review of one of these on his Got A Ukulele site, and with his accompanying video you will get to hear the true, un-doctored sound of this instrument and also benefit from the careful guidance of a person who has played and reviewed more ukes than most people will ever touch in their lifetime...

Just my two cents here...

I wouldn't be surprised if Barry is sent a model by Enya to review...he has had a good relationship with them in the past, and every review he has done of an Enya product has been positive.

That said, it's a $70 ukulele from a pretty reliable company (even the couple of customer complaints that I've seen...two both voiced here on UU) were solved or attempted to be solved by the company. This just isn't the level of risk of other more expensive instruments--or even the "risk" of Outdoor Ukulele at its pricing (which I have and rather like). Enya also offers a 30 day return policy.

I expect an instrument that is better than a Waterman for not much more money--and when mine arrives, I'll be able to review it, too.

I can confirm a review of the Nova will appear on Got A Ukulele in a few weeks time. Watch this space.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barry is sent a model by Enya to review...he has had a good relationship with them in the past, and every review he has done of an Enya product has been positive.

That said, it's a $70 ukulele from a pretty reliable company (even the couple of customer complaints that I've seen...two both voiced here on UU) were solved or attempted to be solved by the company. This just isn't the level of risk of other more expensive instruments--or even the "risk" of Outdoor Ukulele at its pricing (which I have and rather like). Enya also offers a 30 day return policy.

I expect an instrument that is better than a Waterman for not much more money--and when mine arrives, I'll be able to review it, too.

The 30 day makes it seem like a no brainier, just try it and if you don't like it send it back.

Has anyone had experience with this policy though? Is it a store credit or a true return/refund?

I'd caution you that the sound in that video is NOT in fact the natural sound of the instrument and seems obvious to me that there is both reverb and compression added in post-production.

The smart bet would be to wait until Baz does a review of one of these on his Got A Ukulele site, and with his accompanying video you will get to hear the true, un-doctored sound of this instrument and also benefit from the careful guidance of a person who has played and reviewed more ukes than most people will ever touch in their lifetime...

Just my two cents here...

Thanks for the two cents, Joe, but I was just asking if anyone had experience with the pickup they use in this model. No need to wait on that.

@Choirguy - Thanks for the info and comments. Some good thought here. I am looking forward to your review. Thank you for your contributions.

@Baz - I am looking forward to your review. Thank you for doing all of your reviews.

@John Boy - thanks for the clarifications about the pickup. I said what I did because lots of people do not realize that manufacturer-made videos and sound samples are often with doctored audio or some post-processing to hide the warts (shortcomings) and to believe otherwise in the face of so much proof on YouTube is being naiive. Experience has taught me that we need to set expectations lower until proven otherwise, unless one has money to burn and enjoys the hassles and disappointment, this goes for any instruments.

Like I said, I will wait for honest reviews that show the true audio before considering one of these ukes, for myself or for gifts.

My concert Flea has served me well for over 6 yrs and I'm not looking to replace it at all. Many ukes have tried to tempt me away from my Flea, and all have failed so far. My needs are likely not the same as others. We each follow our own path. :)

Looking forward to Baz’s review. I’m curious. Is this carbon fibre a.k.a like the outdoor ukulele. ThT is moulded poly carbonate with carbon fibre in it. That would seen to be the case given the cost. Surely, this is not a concert, carbon fibre in the likes of the Blackbird BTU.

Agree with comments of post production to make things sound better. I prefer to know more.

Cool looking Uke. I wonder how it really is..

Side note, I did get opportunity to play a Enya, tenor made of HDL and was amazed how good and consistent it felt and sounded regular price in Canada was $250 but last two on sale for $125. I almost bought on the spot save my wife being cheesed off at me. Great value and a Uke that would last forever u def all conditions. I still may get one if store has them. Much better sounding and player than my Fluke. It’s a better neck. If Fluke could but more carving into their neck. That said, I like my Fluke. Ha ha.

So many ukes to try. I will be watching this one.

If anyone can clarify what carbon fibre build this is that would be PpreciTed.

So after reading this thread, I went to the Enya website to check out the carbon fiber uke, I'm not loving the colors. But I am considering an HP1 Pineapple Travel ukulele. Has anyone tried any of their travel uses?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread)

Last edited:
So after reading this thread, I went to the Enya website to check out the carbon fiber uke, I'm not loving the colors. But I am considering an HP1 Pineapple Travel ukulele. Has anyone tried any of their travel uses?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread)

I assume you are talking about the X1 HPL pineapple? If so, it is, in my opinion, one the best sounding of their HPL line.

Not long after I became aware of them, my wife and I ended up ordering X1's in soprano, concert, tenor, and the pineapple. (This happened over several months, as the different models went on on sale on Amazon. When one got cheap, we bought one.) Of the different models, the concert and the pineapple sound the best. They are all a little bit quiet, but not terribly so.

The tenor is very bass heavy and because of that sounds a bit muddy, almost muted on the top end. We let that one go in a garage sale. The concert sounds pretty good, but is a bit heavy (physically) for my tastes. That one has been loaned to a relative who is just learning ukulele. (This is a perfect use for an instrument like this, in my opinion.) The soprano is fine, but the pineapple version has a slightly fuller sound that the soprano, so I prefer it.

I hope this helps. Can't wait to hear what people think of the new "Carbon" ones!

I received email from Enya confirming the Nova is poly carbonate with carbon fibre strands mixed it. They don’t have. Tenor planned. This makes sense given the price. Looking forward to reviews.

Baz teased a picture of a black nova on his Instagram today!

While we wait.......this appears to be the Enya hot bed - so I have a few questions if you don't mind!

After a long and exhaustive search I've decided to go with Enya as my first uke - based on the EUC-X1M review ironically in the Uke Talk section. I quickly found the blue EUT-MAD and absolutely fell in love with it. I watched the videos from Bernadette and Katie @ One Music, and I also read a few of Baz' reviews on similar Enyas.
Bernadette & Yoshino KAKA EUC-MAD unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiGLdocwjE&t=3s
One Music School KAKA EUC-MAD review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esmk19-Iu8o&t=2s

I love the blue, I'm sold on the blue. I'm superficial, oh well. It's just so beautiful. That X1M looks like it would be a great first uke, but I'm not interested in the colour of it at all - and was even more turned off when Katie said that the HPL "grain" is printed and you can actually see the pixels if you get close enough.

Anyway, I was hoping I might be able to get some first hand feedback on the EUx-MAD series. It's a bit above my budget, so for me it's like buying a Ferrari (I started with the intent on buying an $80 KMISE - thanks for setting me straight Baz!) Living in Australia the best I have been able to find was this listing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_53

I don't care one bit about the Kaka name - it means nothing here. Though with an OPPO phone (which is an anagram of poop) it'll be funny to keep up the theme.

Cheers!

I've never seen the EUX- MAD myself. The only real wood all solid Enya I reviewed was this - the EUT-M6 - https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/12/enya-eut-m6-tenor-ukulele-review.html - I thought it was really rather good. One thing I've always found consistent with Enya is their quality control is pretty good. Always well made (well, the ones i've seen - and not all of those were supplied by Enya, I bought some as I often do to keep the company on their toes!).

Saying all that, whilst Kaka are the same brand, I did review one, albeit some years ago and thought it was a let down - see - https://www.gotaukulele.com/2016/10/kaka-kus-25d-soprano-review.html I thought it was very generic and poorly made. But... that was in 2016 - before I ever saw an Enya logo model. Maybe they tightened up their product quality, because i've not seen a bad one since.

The Nova review coming later today - will post on this board in it's own thread.

Enya has updated their specs for the Nova U on their website. Just scroll down on the page under any of the Nova U listings and look under "specifications". They note it is: Carbon Fiber (30%) & PC.
I'm sure the PC stands for polycarbonate. This should be a very durable instrument.

I'm told (not by Enya, but a reader) that this is a common surfboard material. Resin loaded composite.

I'm told (not by Enya, but a reader) that this is a common surfboard material. Resin loaded composite.
Interesting!
I look forward to your review of it as a surf board. :D

Top Bottom