Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Upcoming release of Enya Carbon Ukulele

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    I'd caution you that the sound in that video is NOT in fact the natural sound of the instrument and seems obvious to me that there is both reverb and compression added in post-production.

    The smart bet would be to wait until Baz does a review of one of these on his Got A Ukulele site, and with his accompanying video you will get to hear the true, un-doctored sound of this instrument and also benefit from the careful guidance of a person who has played and reviewed more ukes than most people will ever touch in their lifetime...

    Just my two cents here...
    I wouldn't be surprised if Barry is sent a model by Enya to review...he has had a good relationship with them in the past, and every review he has done of an Enya product has been positive.

    That said, it's a $70 ukulele from a pretty reliable company (even the couple of customer complaints that I've seen...two both voiced here on UU) were solved or attempted to be solved by the company. This just isn't the level of risk of other more expensive instruments--or even the "risk" of Outdoor Ukulele at its pricing (which I have and rather like). Enya also offers a 30 day return policy.

    I expect an instrument that is better than a Waterman for not much more money--and when mine arrives, I'll be able to review it, too.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

    My ukulele YouTube channels:

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,406

    Default

    I can confirm a review of the Nova will appear on Got A Ukulele in a few weeks time. Watch this space.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

    www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

    Help Support Got A Ukulele!

    Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Barry is sent a model by Enya to review...he has had a good relationship with them in the past, and every review he has done of an Enya product has been positive.

    That said, it's a $70 ukulele from a pretty reliable company (even the couple of customer complaints that I've seen...two both voiced here on UU) were solved or attempted to be solved by the company. This just isn't the level of risk of other more expensive instruments--or even the "risk" of Outdoor Ukulele at its pricing (which I have and rather like). Enya also offers a 30 day return policy.

    I expect an instrument that is better than a Waterman for not much more money--and when mine arrives, I'll be able to review it, too.
    The 30 day makes it seem like a no brainier, just try it and if you don't like it send it back.

    Has anyone had experience with this policy though? Is it a store credit or a true return/refund?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    I'd caution you that the sound in that video is NOT in fact the natural sound of the instrument and seems obvious to me that there is both reverb and compression added in post-production.

    The smart bet would be to wait until Baz does a review of one of these on his Got A Ukulele site, and with his accompanying video you will get to hear the true, un-doctored sound of this instrument and also benefit from the careful guidance of a person who has played and reviewed more ukes than most people will ever touch in their lifetime...

    Just my two cents here...
    Thanks for the two cents, Joe, but I was just asking if anyone had experience with the pickup they use in this model. No need to wait on that.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Yes, it was a $hitty attempt :-)
    hahahahaha!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    417

    Default

    @Choirguy - Thanks for the info and comments. Some good thought here. I am looking forward to your review. Thank you for your contributions.

    @Baz - I am looking forward to your review. Thank you for doing all of your reviews.

    @John Boy - thanks for the clarifications about the pickup. I said what I did because lots of people do not realize that manufacturer-made videos and sound samples are often with doctored audio or some post-processing to hide the warts (shortcomings) and to believe otherwise in the face of so much proof on YouTube is being naiive. Experience has taught me that we need to set expectations lower until proven otherwise, unless one has money to burn and enjoys the hassles and disappointment, this goes for any instruments.

    Like I said, I will wait for honest reviews that show the true audio before considering one of these ukes, for myself or for gifts.

    My concert Flea has served me well for over 6 yrs and I'm not looking to replace it at all. Many ukes have tried to tempt me away from my Flea, and all have failed so far. My needs are likely not the same as others. We each follow our own path.
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Looking forward to Baz’s review. I’m curious. Is this carbon fibre a.k.a like the outdoor ukulele. ThT is moulded poly carbonate with carbon fibre in it. That would seen to be the case given the cost. Surely, this is not a concert, carbon fibre in the likes of the Blackbird BTU.

    Agree with comments of post production to make things sound better. I prefer to know more.

    Cool looking Uke. I wonder how it really is..


    Side note, I did get opportunity to play a Enya, tenor made of HDL and was amazed how good and consistent it felt and sounded regular price in Canada was $250 but last two on sale for $125. I almost bought on the spot save my wife being cheesed off at me. Great value and a Uke that would last forever u def all conditions. I still may get one if store has them. Much better sounding and player than my Fluke. It’s a better neck. If Fluke could but more carving into their neck. That said, I like my Fluke. Ha ha.

    So many ukes to try. I will be watching this one.

    If anyone can clarify what carbon fibre build this is that would be PpreciTed.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    318

    Default

    So after reading this thread, I went to the Enya website to check out the carbon fiber uke, I'm not loving the colors. But I am considering an HP1 Pineapple Travel ukulele. Has anyone tried any of their travel uses?

    (Don't mean to hijack the thread)
    Last edited by TobyDog; 08-24-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    "Got a whole lot of nothing, and I watch it like a hawk." - Louis Prima, 'I'm Living in a Great Big Way'

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    So after reading this thread, I went to the Enya website to check out the carbon fiber uke, I'm not loving the colors. But I am considering an HP1 Pineapple Travel ukulele. Has anyone tried any of their travel uses?

    (Don't mean to hijack the thread)
    I assume you are talking about the X1 HPL pineapple? If so, it is, in my opinion, one the best sounding of their HPL line.

    Not long after I became aware of them, my wife and I ended up ordering X1's in soprano, concert, tenor, and the pineapple. (This happened over several months, as the different models went on on sale on Amazon. When one got cheap, we bought one.) Of the different models, the concert and the pineapple sound the best. They are all a little bit quiet, but not terribly so.

    The tenor is very bass heavy and because of that sounds a bit muddy, almost muted on the top end. We let that one go in a garage sale. The concert sounds pretty good, but is a bit heavy (physically) for my tastes. That one has been loaned to a relative who is just learning ukulele. (This is a perfect use for an instrument like this, in my opinion.) The soprano is fine, but the pineapple version has a slightly fuller sound that the soprano, so I prefer it.

    I hope this helps. Can't wait to hear what people think of the new "Carbon" ones!
    Ukes include (but are not limited to)
    • Blackbird Clara
    • Kamaka HF-2A (Koa Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (Acacia Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (Spruce Top Concert)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    I received email from Enya confirming the Nova is poly carbonate with carbon fibre strands mixed it. They don’t have. Tenor planned. This makes sense given the price. Looking forward to reviews.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •