FS: Takumi TC-1M Solid Mahogany Concert (2015) - $750 + shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPG

Reaction score
Takumi TC-1M Solid Mahogany Concert (2015)

SOLD

Last edited:
I'm having second thoughts about selling this. Closing thread for now. Will reopen this thread if I still want to sell after rethinking this.

Last edited:
Man it’s hard when you have something that nice!! I just try to not think about it and let them go. :) Always wanted to try one of these but need to be more cautious about spending money. Ha..

Man it’s hard when you have something that nice!! I just try to not think about it and let them go. :) Always wanted to try one of these but need to be more cautious about spending money. Ha..

Yeah, this is a really hard one to let go of. I really hope I don't regret it because it would be tough to find another one. I just can't justify not at least trying to sell it now that I have the Martin (and want to get a nice tenor). I haven't decided what I'll get next when this sells but I might see if I can find a used TT-1M (the tenor version of this) although it would likely be pretty tough to find.

Anyway, thanks for the comment. It is indeed a lovely instrument.

In case anyone is curious how it compares to a Martin here is me switching back and forth between the two.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cFDU8tR2KPXbWGLD6

While they have some tonal similarities they each have distinct voice of there own. The Martin has more of that classic bright punchy tone. The Takumi is, to my ear, more open and delicate sounding with more sustain but less note distinction then the Martin. I guess I'd say the Martin sounds more like a big soprano where the Takumi sounds more like a small tenor. I honestly can't say I like the sound of one better than the other and the Takumi has the advantage of having more frets but the Martin, well it's a Martin, so the Takumi is the one I decided to put up for sale.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a really hard one to let go of. I really hope I don't regret it because it would be tough to find another one. I just can't justify not at least trying to sell it now that I have the Martin (and want to get a nice tenor). I haven't decided what I'll get next when this sells but I might see if I can find a used TT-1M (the tenor version of this) although it would likely be pretty tough to find.

Anyway, thanks for the comment. It is indeed a lovely instrument.

In case anyone is curious how it compares to a Martin here is me switching back and forth between the two.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cFDU8tR2KPXbWGLD6

While they have a lot of tonal similarities they each have distinct voice of there own. The Martin has more of that classic bright punchy tone. The Takumi is, to my ear, more open and delicate sounding with more sustain but less note distinction then the Martin. I guess I'd say the Martin sounds more like a big soprano where the Takumi sounds more like a small tenor. I honestly can't say I like the sound of one better than the other and the Takumi has the advantage of having more frets but the Martin, well it's a Martin, so the Takumi is the one I decided to put up for sale.

Up to you, but listening on my crappy iPad speaker, I like the Takumi more. The Martin has that punchy soprano sound on the treble end that sort of pierces through, but the Takumi has a more full sound that’s a bit more well balanced. I would keep both! (Though, I play mostly tenor and like low g so I guess I’m a bit partial to more bass notes). Btw, nice Thundercats tee!

Up to you, but listening on my crappy iPad speaker, I like the Takumi more. The Martin has that punchy soprano sound on the treble end that sort of pierces through, but the Takumi has a more full sound that’s a bit more well balanced. I would keep both! (Though, I play mostly tenor and like low g so I guess I’m a bit partial to more bass notes). Btw, nice Thundercats tee!

Thanks! Your description of the tonal differences are exactly right. The Martin barks and chimes the Takumi sings. I just can't say I overall prefer one over the other. Part of the calculus here though is that I will likely replace the Takumi with a tenor so I would rather keep the concert that sounds less like a tenor. The other part of the calculus is that I have more money in and can probably get more money out of the Takumi.

I may still keep both but as of now I decided to let the market decide. If I can sell the the Takumi at the current asking price I can keep my loss to a minimum and so I'll let it go. If it doesn't sell at this price I will need to think about how badly I want to keep vs sell it.

Last edited:
.....I think it's okay to be knit-picky and I don't want anyone who buys this to be surprised by anything.

As long as you think it's okay, it's actually "nitpick" but I hate to nitpick. ;)

Interesting term - "nits" are actually the eggs laid by head lice on individual hair follicles, so "nitpicking" is minutely searching through someone's hair looking for and removing tiny lice eggs.

Be that as it may - good luck with your sale - it's a beautiful ukulele that, IMO blows that Martin out of the water tonally.

As long as you think it's okay, it's actually "nitpick" but I hate to nitpick. ;)

Interesting term - "nits" are actually the eggs laid by head lice on individual hair follicles, so "nitpicking" is minutely searching through someone's hair looking for and removing tiny lice eggs.

Be that as it may - good luck with your sale - it's a beautiful ukulele that, IMO blows that Martin out of the water tonally.

Lol! Thanks Swamp Yankee!

Jeez, you all are giving me second thoughts again :)

You have Martin Concert right Swamp Yankee?
Pure curiosity here, does is sound like mine, more like the Takumi, different than both? I'm always curious to learn how much difference there is among old Martins.

Lol! Thanks Swamp Yankee!

Jeez, you all are giving me second thoughts again :)

You have Martin Concert right Swamp Yankee?
Pure curiosity here, does is sound like mine, more like the Takumi, different than both? I'm always curious to learn how much difference there is among old Martins.

My Martin has a very warm and mellow tone.... not as bright as either of your concerts there. Mine is also shifted more towards the midrange, it seems. Maybe it’s because mine has several cracks in the top, sides, and back :D

My Martin has a very warm and mellow tone.... not as bright as either of your concerts there. Mine is also shifted more towards the midrange, it seems. Maybe it’s because mine has several cracks in the top, sides, and back :D

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Yeah my Martin has 3 repaired cracks in the back and possibley one in the front (i cant tell if it's a very cleanly repaired crack or just a finish check). I cant help but wonder if they impact the sound. I had anticipated it would be warmer but ended up liking the fact that it sounds kinda like a really big really loud Martin soprano.

Anyway. Thanks again!

(Note to everyone else. The Takumi is still for sale. I have not changed my mind yet. )

Last edited:
I nearly bought that one myself. I think you should keep it. I'm with Swamp Yankee, it blows the Martin out of the water.

I nearly bought that one myself. I think you should keep it. I'm with Swamp Yankee, it blows the Martin out of the water.

Thanks Ziret. Now is your chance to regain your previously missed opportunity to buy this! Better hurry before you all convince me to change my mind! :)

Wow, these are different. I own a Takumi concert and a Martin Style 2 Soprano. I find the Martin easier to play than the Takumi but that could just be a concert vs a soprano.

This is such a tough call. Good luck either way.

Oh yeah you PM'd me asking me about the differences in these a couple weeks ago. Did you get my response?

Anyway, I find the Takumi slightly easier to play than the Martin but I think that's just because the Takumi has a slightly better setup. It might also just be because I've had the Takumi longer and my hands are more familiar with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom