End Pins—What's the Purpose?

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I notice that some Guitars and high-end ukuleles have end pins instead of a screw-in end pin.

What is the purpose or advantage?

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post a picture of the difference between the two types?

Tradition, no? Violin family instruments have endpins (to hold the tailpiece not a strap) and others have inherited from that. Screw in strap pegs are more stable, but less cool. I’ve seen this discussed in mandolin forums in the context of endpins falling out, and how to retrofit screws or improve on the friction fit.

Screw in endpins are a feature of cheap guitars. Quality guitars have optional bone or ebony endpins that only get plugged in if needed for a strap.

Here are some example photos I've gotten from Amazon and Stewmac websites:

Disens Ebony Guitar End Pin and Bridge Pin size comparison:

Disens Ebony Bridge & End Pins.jpg

Waverly Friction End Pin:

Waverly_Ebony_Endpin_with_Shell_Inlay.jpg

Waverly Screw-in Strap End Pins (aka: "Button"):

Waverly_Guitar_Strap_Button.jpg

I found out that some ukuleles have friction end pins that fit into a hole on the tail, like those used on some guitars and I was wondering why. Is there an advantage to them over a strap button that is screwed into the tail block? I'd think that the screw-mounted pin (button) would be more secure and wouldn't chip the finish like a friction button might.

I can't think of any reason why one would be better acoustically. But I'm not a luthier.

Thanks for posting the Google Photo link Jerry. I didn't see it until I posted this reply.

Last edited:
I call them “end pins” when they’re the solid wood, tapered fit style. Otherwise, the screw in types I call “strap buttons”.
For installing end pins properly, a tapered reamer is needed. I have those, and I like the traditional look, so I fit my ukes with end pins on the bouts, and strap buttons on the neck heels.

As for one being better than the other... I can’t say, but if you’re installing either and you drill your hole off center, there’s not much you can do with the screw in style...it will be off center. But since tapered reamers typically have a “safe” side, you can correct the hole as you ream it to size, and the end pin will be smack dab on center.

Are they glued in place?

They can be, easily. I put a drop of CA glue on mine because I intend them to be permanent and I’m more interested in security than in being able to pop them out.

Given proper installation, they are secure without glue... but a change in humidity can change that.

Many acoustic guitar makers, Martin among them, use tapered end pins. I have owned several guitars with them and never had one pull out while I was using a strap. But it can happen.

Last edited:
They can be, easily. I put a drop of CA glue on mine because I intend them to be permanent and I’m more interested in security than in being able to pop them out.

Is there any reason why someone would keep removing and replacing them? Saving weight when traveling? :D

Years ago I had a Gibson guitar with a tapered end piece. I would remove the end piece when storing the guitar in its' case as it (guitar) fit much snugger and sturdier.

Is there any reason why someone would keep removing and replacing them? Saving weight when traveling? :D

When I had my Collings UC2, I had an end pin(not a screw in strap button) installed but I didn’t glue it in. I wanted to be able to remove it because of the very tight fitting Collings hard case. If the case wasn’t such a tight fit I might have glued it in but maybe not as I was thinking of having a pickup installed. I alway purchased strap buttons, end pins, bridge pins and saddles from Bob Colossi in Georgia. He makes amazing looking items made from a variety of materials. If you have a fine instrument I think spending a bit extra is worth it.

When I had my Collings UC2, I had an end pin(not a screw in strap button) installed but I didn’t glue it in. I wanted to be able to remove it because of the very tight fitting Collings hard case.

Ah, yes. The case. My concert doesn't have a pickup, but my tenor does, and that fits fine. I can see how an end pin would be a problem.

I have had a number of acoustic guitars, Martin, Gibson, Goya, Yamaha. . . and all came with tapered end pins. I have added screw in heel pins to all of them. All of the ones I have now (except a Yamaha high strung) have had pickups added and have had the end pins replaced with a jack type end pin.
None of my ukuleles came with end pins, so I added screw in end pins to all of them.

I can think of no advantage to either type of strap pin, but I never saw a flat top steel string guitar that came with a screw in end pin. The tapered pins seemed to be standard.

Top Bottom