Any thoughts on ko’olau and petros ukuleles?

Wdh777

Reaction score
It’s hard to find reviews on these. I assume their production numbers are very low. Any general thoughts on these two brands? Thanks

It’s hard to find reviews on these. I assume their production numbers are very low. Any general thoughts on these two brands? Thanks
No one here seems to own a Petros there is another thread. A lot of people here have owned Ko’olaus and highly regard them. Pono is owned by Ko’olau

I have a Ko'olau CS model with Sinker Redwood and Milo thst I love dearly. Best balanced sound and endless depth, almost like a Cathedral.

I have a Ko'olau CS model with Sinker Redwood and Milo thst I love dearly. Best balanced sound and endless depth, almost like a Cathedral.

Thanks. That is one of the models I’m considering so very helpful

The Ko'olau is basically custom made. You go online and check off the features and specs you want. I did that a few years ago, but I stopped when the price of a soprano got over $3,000. Also, be prepared to wait many months. On the plus side, you won't find people who hate the Ko'olau. :D

Petros is a high end, small scale guitar builder who likes to build a few ukuleles as well. Think Collings, yet even smaller and more exclusive.
His work is beautiful and he builds some exceptional guitars.

My feeling is that his ukulele customers are predominantly people who already are fans of his guitars. This shouldn't stop anyone who is interested in his instruments from getting in touch with him and having a chat yet Petros is going to remain quite obscure in ukulele circles.

I can't resist posting a link to Macyn Taylor playing a Petros guitar. Macyn has a signature model Petros as well,

Last edited:
HMS has 2 new Petros Ukes and will be posting it soon...they are nice builds and Bruce Petros loves the ukulele,met him at the Ukulele Festival last week...

I own a Ko'olau CS Spruce and Myrtle tenor and absolutely love it. The tone is as good as the build quality which is absolutely impeccable.

Last edited:
HMS has 2 new Petros Ukes and will be posting it soon...they are nice builds and Bruce Petros loves the ukulele,met him at the Ukulele Festival last week...
His price points are a bit over the top.. and there is no indication that his sound is better than a hive, Moore Bettah or koaloha black label

His price points are a bit over the top.. and there is no indication that his sound is better than a hive, Moore Bettah or koaloha black label

sound samples were done last night...2 Petros,1 Moore Bettah and a Pops Ko'aloha Pineapple Sunday...you can decide on the tone yourself should be up soon on Vimeo

Wow, anthonyg, thanks for that video. That is one fine sounding guitar. And that young lady is one fine picker.
Alas, I don't own a Ko'olau, or a Petros. I Don't even rub elbows with anyone who does!
Maybe Dave will show us his...

Wow, anthonyg, thanks for that video. That is one fine sounding guitar. And that young lady is one fine picker.
Alas, I don't own a Ko'olau, or a Petros. I Don't even rub elbows with anyone who does!
Maybe Dave will show us his...

Hey Nickie, your wish is my command. The CS model has a radius fret board, which is my preference and has bridge pins instead of tie block or string through. As I said it has a spruce top and curly myrtle back and sides. It has a LR Baggs 5.0 pick up and sounds so good plugged it I use it the majority of the times for open Mic performances.

20190507_202319.jpg20190507_202147.jpg

Like many, I'd take a $5,000 Ko'olau over a $10,000 Petros anyday.

Hey Nickie, your wish is my command. The CS model has a radius fret board, which is my preference and has bridge pins instead of tie block or string through. As I said it has a spruce top and curly myrtle back and sides. It has a LR Baggs 5.0 pick up and sounds so good plugged it I use it the majority of the times for open Mic performances.

View attachment 120073View attachment 120074

That looks just like mine! The uke stand, I mean. :D

Those stands come in very handy. :D

Another Ko’olau owner chiming in (mine is a koa tenor). They’ve been building ‘ukulele almost since the beginning of the ‘ukulele renaissance in the 1990s. Ko’olau ‘ukulele are generally associated with quality construction and fit and finish; impeccable setup and intonation; exceedingly short, dynamically sensitive attack, and a dense, lush tone that isn’t loud or boomy yet projects well. In short, Ko’olau builds studio-grade instruments for well-heeled professionals, but I know some players who want a livelier, boomier, more open sound.

You can see photos highlighting various exterior features of my Ko’olau at Ko’olau ‘Ulu.

Last edited:
I would love to hear a side-by-side same-spec comparison between Ko'olau and Pono tenors. I'm sure there will be details and nuances in the sounds that are different. I'm just curious what they might be.

IMG_1076.jpg

Several ears ago I found this used Ko'olau 6-string at Elderly Music and it is wonderful. It was a toss-up between it and a Kamaka 6-string, but this one just had something special in it's sound. Fuller, richer and more clarity.

Petros is a high end, small scale guitar builder who likes to build a few ukuleles as well. Think Collings, yet even smaller and more exclusive.
His work is beautiful and he builds some exceptional guitars.

My feeling is that his ukulele customers are predominantly people who already are fans of his guitars. This shouldn't stop anyone who is interested in his instruments from getting in touch with him and having a chat yet Petros is going to remain quite obscure in ukulele circles.

I can't resist posting a link to Macyn Taylor playing a Petros guitar. Macyn has a signature model Petros as well,

I've never heard of Macyn Taylor - but she is FANTASTIC!

I've never heard of Macyn Taylor - but she is FANTASTIC!

Macyn is a fantastic player. She is a pupil of the great Leo Kottke. Macyn has unfortunately gone AWOL lately. I'm not in a position to know why yet I guess it will have to go under the heading. "personal reasons". There are plenty of video's up on YouTube already thankfully, of Macyn playing her signature model Petros guitar or various other Petros guitars.

Top Bottom