Season 389 - Dream On

YorkSteve

Still strummin'
UU VIP
Reaction score

If you haven't watched the video, you've probably done the right thing, and not spent two minutes listening to me ramble. But now you need to know that this week is all about DREAMS - any song with "dream" in the title or lyrics, or "nightmare", or even songs which are clearly about dreams even though they don't say the word.

Originals are very welcome of course.

Ukulele must feature somewhere.

Let's start with a limit of four songs each, and see how it goes.

Here's the Playlist

The fun starts at 00:01 Hawaii time on Sunday 28th July, and runs until 23:59 Hawaii time on Sunday August 4th.

And don't forget there is still loads of time to find more gems from Vince Clark/Yazoo/Erasure/Alison Moyet for Del & Lynda's Season 388.

Last edited:
... or will it be a nightmare?

Love the idea, Steve!

Hmmm... I've already done three original songs with "dream" in the title for the Seasons, and two more originals that were based on dreams I had. I don't know if I've got anything left in the originals tank, but there's still plenty of untapped covers!

great theme! maybe it's time to write that homemade song about doing the maths exam i haven't studied or revised for, having to walk home without all my clothes on, and then i fall down some steps but it turns into flying........................... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe not!

Excellent theme, Steve ... although, at a quick glance there seem to be far more "dream" than "nightmare" songs, which I suppose is to be expected. I can echo Lynda's nightmares about having to sit an exam I haven't studied for or falling/flying down the stairs .... do we all have the same nightmares? This week should bring up some interesting finds.

Thanks Steve. Gonna be a good week!Here's one by josh Ritter I found."Nightmare".He's a good songwriter-interesting lyrics here.Little bit of multi- tracking too.Just got a blue yeti mic.

great theme! maybe it's time to write that homemade song about doing the maths exam i haven't studied or revised for, having to walk home without all my clothes on, and then i fall down some steps but it turns into flying........................... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe not!

Oh your dreams sound a bit like mine. I often find that I am still at university, and have not been to any lectures at all for a course that I had forgotten about - and the exam is next week. Also, going down steps several at a time, and falling.....But my most recurring one takes place in the shop that my family used to keep, an old building on three floors. I turn a corner and find a whole lot of other rooms that nobody knew about. What does it all mean?

Busy week.So in early with another.An original. I've been listening to a podcast called Cocaine and Rhinestones-A History of Country Music.So maybe that had an influence on this strange one.In open Dm tuning.DFAD.

She dreamed up a hanging tree
To string her Jolene high
Disappeared on the 3:10 to Yuma
No one steals her guy

Midnight she was a teenage queen
In the arms of Johnny Cash
On a rainy night in Georgia
The Swamp Fox felt her splash

For a young city girl
It’s hard to believe
She only dreams in country
Her wild geese they duck
And they weave

She saw a promissory note
Pinned to her fridge
Rearrange itself to
Spell Tallahatchie Bridge

She opened up her freezer
There stood Billy Joe
Frozen in perpetuity
For what he’s about to throw

For a young city girl
It’s hard to believe
She only dreams in country
Her wild geese they duck
And they weave

She dreamed up a hanging tree
To string her Jolene high
Disappeared on the 3:10 to Yuma
No one steals her guy

Oh your dreams sound a bit like mine. I often find that I am still at university, and have not been to any lectures at all for a course that I had forgotten about - and the exam is next week. Also, going down steps several at a time, and falling.....But my most recurring one takes place in the shop that my family used to keep, an old building on three floors. I turn a corner and find a whole lot of other rooms that nobody knew about. What does it all mean?
oh yes i have those dreams too! loads of new rooms and passages in the flats here - or whatever builiding i'm dreaming i'm in! i could do with at least one of those extra rooms, in real life, to keep all my ukes in!!!!!!!!

here is a hawkwind song for the season, "dream worker"

Here's a Lefty Frizzell song from 1971, he died at age only 47 in 1975. For a time in the early 50's he was as hot as Hank Williams, but could not sustain it for several reasons, both personal and professional. A dream is mentioned twice in the last verses. I worked on this song a bit a few months ago, but never recorded it. I love it cause I knew guys exactly like this, who were the age I am now, in my youth hanging around bands. I wanted to get one in quick this week, probably will be all I'll have time for.

This is a song I wrote some time ago, but have never used it here. It started out as a quick 4/4 western swing version. I decided to try and simplify it so it would be easier for my local group to play along with. So this is a slower waltz version with fewer chord changes. I'll probably try to work up the other version later.

After writing and practicing this song multiple times in D, my voice was really worn out yesterday from singing all afternoon, so I dropped it down to C to make it easier on my voice. I had to learn the solo bit all over again.

I'm always afraid the Irving Azoff thugs (the group that manages a lot of these SoCal bands and polices YouTube with a vengeance) will pull this and send their goons to throw me in a dungeon, but I must do this song. The Merlefest shirt is somewhat appropriate because the Waybacks performed "Full Moon Fever" as their classic album at the festival last year.

Top Bottom