Finish question

keenonuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
On an already finished ukulele, can a gloss lacquer finish be added to the spray lacquer finish. Of course the finish would be sanded before adding the new coat. My purpose is to change the finish from satin to gloss.

On an already finished ukulele, can a gloss lacquer finish be added to the spray lacquer finish. Of course the finish would be sanded before adding the new coat. My purpose is to change the finish from satin to gloss.

I have worked a bit with lacquer, though others may have much more expertise than I. However, to get a truly gloss finish you would indeed have to spray gloss lacquer, or rather lacquer that does not have any flattening agents. I do not believe there would be any bonding issues if you carefully cleaned and lightly sanded all surfaces before spraying.

Will you be rubbing out after spraying or will the spray coat be the final surface? If rubbing out, be careful not to rub through the gloss finish or you will be spraying again, but I suppose that would be obvious.

What would happen if you rubbed out the existing finish with rottenstone? Might that give you a glossy enough finish?

Top Bottom