Flat Picking Ukulele???

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I have been wondering about this for awhile and have not seen any thing on it. I know what finger picking is and how to, however, does any one flat pick on ukulele as one does on guitar?

I flat pick all the time. I play lead guitar in a blus grass group and uke in a couple uke groups. Nothing like the sound of double flat pickin' on a uke.

Listen to Doc Watson as an example. Double picking is every note is hit twice. Double picking is just like using two notes of the same value. The only difference is that they are counted as a single note of the conjoint value. For instance, a quarter note is hit twice as two 1/8th notes. Bass players often use double picking/plucking while doing bass runs.

Is it like going down/up quickly on the same note/string?

Listen to Doc Watson as an example. Double picking is every note is hit twice. Double picking is just like using two notes of the same value. The only difference is that they are counted as a single note of the conjoint value. For instance, a quarter note is hit twice as two 1/8th notes. Bass players often use double picking/plucking while doing bass runs.

I have been wondering about this for awhile and have not seen any thing on it. I know what finger picking is and how to, however, does any one flat pick on ukulele as one does on guitar?

Yep, my friend, neighbor and musical partner does it, exclusively. He plays his Tenor DuPont always with a pick. Sometimes he does some hybrid picking, i. e., plucking with the pick between his thumb and index finger and picking with the other fingers of his right Hand. He plays low g, of course. I guess it‘s not unfair to say, that he tries to play his uke like a small 4stringed guitar.
It‘s not my cup of tea, though, I prefer to strum with my index finger. I do some picking with my finger nails, which I try to grow long for that purpose. And I use a thumb pick, well, for the thumb, obviously. Otherwise, a single line solo wouldn’t be loud enough against the pick-strummed second Uke. And the fingerpicking parts sound more homogeneous than without the thumbpick, of course.
I think our two different approaches to the Uke do complement each other quite well.

Last edited:
I have been flatpicking on my baritones for years as I like to play the melody. To do it you need to choose songs with a strong melody, songs which are mostly rhythm don't work so well. I play 70 folky country & soft rock songs. Strumming is for people who can sing along, but I couldn't sing to save my life. Thick picks give a better sound. Mine are Dunlop Big Stubby, 3mm thick. They give a better tone than thin picks. Flatpicking is my thing! I used my nails for a while years ago, but looking after them annoyed me.

Last edited:
I use a pick on everything. Once you get comfortable with one, it's easy. I find it gives more versatility, especially with rock and country tunes.

I played in a small orchestra that had two Uke players(I was one). The conductor asked us to use flat picks for both a sharper attack and for increased volume.

Top Bottom