Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do ukes have bad days?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    As acmespaceship alluded to, everything sounds better on a heavily overcast day when it it could rain at any moment, but it just doesn't.

-Wiggy
    I live in a desert. This is totally my excuse. I'm waiting for those days.
    "...how strange to see that I don't want to be the person that I want to be." - Amanda Palmer, In My Mind (NSFW)

I read a couple of scientific articles about sound waves and how they are affected by different atmospheric conditions and things like humidity in the air has a measurable effect. I was not reading it though in regards to ukuleles, but the principles are the same I would imagine.

Last evening I went to play with a strum a long group that I attend most every week, and I would swear that it sounded like my uke was out of tune. So every once in a while I would venture over where all my gear was laying and check the tuning. Every time it was spot on. I don't know what the deal was with that, but it threw me off all evening.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I read a couple of scientific articles about sound waves and how they are affected by different atmospheric conditions and things like humidity in the air has a measurable effect. I was not reading it though in regards to ukuleles, but the principles are the same I would imagine.

Last evening I went to play with a strum a long group that I attend most every week, and I would swear that it sounded like my uke was out of tune. So every once in a while I would venture over where all my gear was laying and check the tuning. Every time it was spot on. I don't know what the deal was with that, but it threw me off all evening.
    I Hate to imply this, but have you had the straightness of the neck checked?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I Hate to imply this, but have you had the straightness of the neck checked?
    No I haven't, but it looks pretty straight to me. I'm pretty sure it was operator error.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    No I haven't, but it looks pretty straight to me. I'm pretty sure it was operator error.
    I certainly hope so. I found that one of mine, which looks straight, is warped. IT won't stay in tune when fretted, and there's no hope for it.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I certainly hope so. I found that one of mine, which looks straight, is warped. IT won't stay in tune when fretted, and there's no hope for it.
    I'll check it.

Last night I couldn’t seem to get the ukulele I wanted to play in tune. Some strings flat and others sharp. I wondered if this might be a hint I should replace the batteries in the tuner, or maybe the ukulele was telling me to play another ukulele. I tried another ukulele and it was more co-operative.

I do have another tuner but it seems to be flat by several cents in comparison to the CPM I usually use.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila
    Donner DUC-3 Concert Spruce/Mahogany gCEA Donner

CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner
    Donner tuner

I usually don't try to blame my own shortcomings on my defenseless ukulele, but you got me nervous. But after a morning of checking every thing on the uke, I can assure you that the ukulele is holding up its end of the bargain. The problem is with me.

Thread Information