5th string broke - suggestions?

merlin666

Reaction score
I have a Kamaka Lili'u strung with the Aquila LU17 set with red low A string. This was perfect for more than six months but today when I opened the case I found the red string was broken in the headstock area. I don't think it is long enough to splice the two parts together again. I dislike changing strings so ideally just get a replacement red but not sure where to find one. Now I have some spare red low Gs but they are a bit thicker and not sure if they can be tuned higher and how they blend with the others. I also have a spare GHS set but don't really want to change the whole set or use wound strings. A fourth longer term option would be to try a fluorocarbon set, I think worth has a six string set. Now I have other ukes too and don't have to play this until end of August when I have a gig. Ordering and mailing usually takes several weeks so I'm not sure what to do.

I have a Kamaka Lili'u strung with the Aquila LU17 set with red low A string. This was perfect for more than six months but today when I opened the case I found the red string was broken in the headstock area. I don't think it is long enough to splice the two parts together again. I dislike changing strings so ideally just get a replacement red but not sure where to find one. Now I have some spare red low Gs but they are a bit thicker and not sure if they can be tuned higher and how they blend with the others. I also have a spare GHS set but don't really want to change the whole set or use wound strings. A fourth longer term option would be to try a fluorocarbon set, I think worth has a six string set. Now I have other ukes too and don't have to play this until end of August when I have a gig. Ordering and mailing usually takes several weeks so I'm not sure what to do.

There's a D'addario web app for custom string configurations.

Select 'ukulele ' the click "I have a custom instrument"

This will figure out their strings for each position.

http://stringtensionpro.com/SelectInstruments

Last edited:
I confess I have never heard a five-string with a low A before. It must make for a very uniquely-different sound.

Do you know of any sound files of one being played?

I have hear lots of stories about Aquila Reds breaking mysteriously in the night. In sealed cases. When no one's around— but I thought the newer formula had pretty much solved the problem.

The Aquila red string is a mess. I broke 5 of them. Aquila kept sending replacements till finally I gave up. Seems that as you tune and tighten, the pulling of the string through the nut weakens the string and it breaks. I found that wound low -G and wound low-c worked the best on my Kamaka HF-38. The last set I had on there before I sold it were Moore Bettah low-G and low- C

Aquila Reds are more durable than they used to be, but they remain prone to wear from sharp edges on the nut, tuning posts, etc. Check your nut carefully. You may need to remove a burr and/or polish the slot.

The Aquila red string is a mess. I broke 5 of them. Aquila kept sending replacements till finally I gave up. Seems that as you tune and tighten, the pulling of the string through the nut weakens the string and it breaks. I found that wound low -G and wound low-c worked the best on my Kamaka HF-38. The last set I had on there before I sold it were Moore Bettah low-G and low- C

Thanks, I have a tenor with red low G that has lasted four years now and is fantastic. I can't stand wound strings as they wear out and unravel within a month of light use, and they sound too bright new when compared to the nylguts. I am open to trying fluorocarbon but haven't found a brand yet that offers a reasonable six-string set.

Worth has a 6-string set that is terriffic. I got it at theukulelesite.com

Thanks, I have a tenor with red low G that has lasted four years now and is fantastic. I can't stand wound strings as they wear out and unravel within a month of light use, and they sound too bright new when compared to the nylguts. I am open to trying fluorocarbon but haven't found a brand yet that offers a reasonable six-string set.

Worth has a 6-string set that is terriffic. I got it at theukulelesite.com

I am very intrigued by Worth strings and was looking in to them. I found their specs a bit confusing, so I e-mailed them and their response was very quick, but has me even more confused about the brand:
Merlin: Hello, I have a 6-string (lili'u) ukulele which is strung gcCeAa. I am thinking about trying one of your 6-string sets, but it is not clear how you number the strings in order or which thickness belongs to which note. I think that the "c" is the highest string so would be thinnest with 0.0185in, and "A" the thickest with 0.0319in so should be numbered 5 and 2 respectfully in order. So I am trying to figure out how your set is supposed to be used. Please explain.

Good morning Merlin,

Thank you for your mail.
I’m Masaya Takahashi, a producer of Worth Strings.

About the 6 strings set, the gauge is here.

1st : 0.0185(A)
2nd : 0.0291(Low-A)
3rd : 0.0260(E)
4th : 0.0319(Mid-C)
5th : 0.0205(C)
6th : 0.0224(G)

I set these gauge to get the spread of sound.
We have sold this for long years.

But I think there would be many way to set.
So,
If you have your own idea, try it by your responsibility ,please.

I hope this helps you.
Thank you.
Best Regards
Masaya

So for those who use these strings - are they actually labelled for the positions they are supposed to go to? I just imagine that the tensions would be weird with thicker C than A strings.

Looking hard for red low A replacement strings (Aquila 75U) ideally in Canada to keep shipping costs reasonable. It looks like my spare low Gs are quite thicker than the A with 1.07mm vs. 0.9mm, though the difference is barely visible.

Top Bottom