Returning to guitar - steel or nylon?

Hey everyone

Are nylons strings thinner on a guitar? One of my problems with my current steel string is the 43 mm width nut and accidentally catching an adjacent string with my fretting hand. I was looking at wider nuts for a nylon string in the 45-48mm range but surfing the local stores on the internet the only intersection of appropriate price and what i like is on a guitar with a 43mm nut.

Nylon strings—the trebles—are larger in diameter than the equivalent steel strings. However, if you prefer a thinner string on a classical guitar, use a light gauge fluorocarbon. They sound great and hold their pitch sooner than nylon. They are a wee bit brighter and less responsive to vibrato (so you need to compensate with a stronger left hand wobble).

Standard classical nuts are 52mm but there are plenty of crossover models with 48mm nuts and a gentle radius (Kremona & Cordoba) if you need something smaller. I prefer a wider nut—55mm—so I can have plenty of room next to the first string so I don't pull it off the fret during bends, slides and pull-offs.

Are you saying the only intersection of price and specs you see for a nylon guitar is a 43mm nut? Are you looking at a full size guitar? I’ve never seen a nylon that small except for fractional guitars.

As Peter mentioned the standard is 52mm and most crossover guitars are 48mm (but both vary). Nylon strings are thicker (carbon not as much as nylon) with less tension and have more movement when plucked. Thus they usually have higher action and wider necks but less tension.

Yes, it’s the fender cn60s. I am looking mostly at 3/4 and 7/8 models because I am intimidated by 50 and 52 mm nut. Widths.

There are some really nice 46 and 48 mm models that are not in my price range. The number of shops and guitar range here is a little limited and I have been in to the stores so much trying 00 and travel size steel strings - to the point I got pointed comments from the staff - that I am a bit embarrassed to go back to look at nylons till I know what i want.

I have commitment issues when it comes to instrument purchases :) :) :)

Do you know the model name/number of the Córdoba crossover? Thanks

EDIT - darn it, I think I need to raise my budget.

Last edited:
Specs on the 1/2 size Cordoba Requinto 580 look pretty good to me.

Specs on the 1/2 size Cordoba Requinto 580 look pretty good to me.

I agree, many of my students have showed up to my classes with the Cordoba Requinto 580 and it's a lot of guitar for under $300. Guitar don't get much smaller than 580mm scale and 48mm nut if you need to tune E to E. Although labeled a requinto I'm pretty sure the A to A requinto tuning will be too much tension (maybe G to G with lighter strings).

Last edited:
I agree, many of my students have showed up to my classes with the Cordoba Requinto 580 and it's a lot of guitar for under $300. Guitar don't get much smaller than 580mm scale and 48mm nut if you need to tune E to E. Although labeled a requinto I'm pretty sure the A to A requinto tuning will be too much tension (maybe G to G with lighter strings).

Yeah, it looks like something that could replace my Yamaha G-85A for me. As I'm not overly concerned about volume and projection, just tone and playability.
I'm keeping an eye out for something similar on the used market.

Yeah, it looks like something that could replace my Yamaha G-85A for me. As I'm not overly concerned about volume and projection, just tone and playability.
I'm keeping an eye out for something similar on the used market.

I bought a used Cordoba Cadet about one year ago, which is a bit bigger, considered 3/4 as opposed to 1/2 size. The Cadet seems more common so you might find a used one easier then the Requinto. I have been very pleased with it, click on my name, then profile, then search my threads started if you want to read the NGD post

Last edited:
I bought a used Cordoba Cadet about one year ago, which is a bit bigger, considered 3/4 as opposed to 1/2 size. The Cadet seems more common so you might find a used one easier then the Requinto. I have been very pleased with it, click on my name, then profile, then search my threads started if you want to read the NGD post

Thanks! I'll check it out. Mostly I'm just looking for a quality piece at a great price. Nothing is set in stone as far as actual size. Something close may end up being perfect.
One shop near me has had a Art & Luthier Ami or Roadhouse hangin up for a couple of months that I may investigate further. It wasn't a color that appealed to me, but was already priced low. And they may be ready to deal on it now. Wouldn't mind tryin the cedar topped version. And I could always refinish it if it turned out to be the one.

Top Bottom