No baritone ukes at Mims?

I've got one of those, and it is my favorite of the three ukes I own.

I would be curious to know why she is phasing them out.

I would be curious to know why she is phasing them out.

My guess would be not enough sales. I probably know fifty uke players from the three groups I'm in, and I know of only three who occasionally play a baritone. With such low demand, which ones would you buy and stock?

I wonder why - the baritone is such a comfortable size, and wonderfully mellow tone.

The problem with cheap baritones is that if the neck angle is off a little, it may be impossible to adjust the action to make it play comfortably, with smaller ukes, this can be more easily remedied.

The problem with cheap baritones is that if the neck angle is off a little, it may be impossible to adjust the action to make it play comfortably, with smaller ukes, this can be more easily remedied.

I found the same problem with a homemade banjo uke. The neck has to be at a certain angle, and I skipped that step.

Odd - the patterns seem very similar to me.

I agree, the patterns are the same just apply to different chords. I made the transition to playing Baritone in a week and can switch back and forth pretty easily. I mostly play Baritone these days as very few others in my group do and it adds to the mix.

My ears were burning! Haha, well, someone gave me a heads up!

'Tis true. I phased them out. Something had to give as my inventory and business grew and Baritones are what went. So far, so good. If I need to bring them back I will and I will still stock Mike Pereira and Kamaka Baritones. This is why they went:

1- I consistently, universally, along all brands had the worst quality control on Baritones. Twisted necks, necks without relief, Uneven frets, obscenely high action that could not be lowered. Truss rod or not, they were unpredictable and time consuming when I would spend hours on a Baritone setup to find there was no hope in it sounding right. And I am a perfectionist.

2- Many people wanted them tuned GCEA to replicate their other ukes and then were surprised when they sounded no different than their tenor and returned them.

3- Most Baritones have to have a naturally higher action than Soprano-Tenor ukes. 4/32 is usually about right. Especially on budget friendly ukes. Customers would complain the action was too high when it was ideal for that model of Baritone.

4- Space. I had a few other things I wanted to stock. Like Martins.

4b- I am a one woman show and was so busy I was working 16 hour days, this phase out helped slow my roll. To answer what you are going to say... No. An employee wont help. Yall know you want me to do the set up. And that was why I was working so late. And I hate paperwork. Employee paperwork is my 5th circle of hell.

5- Passion. Yall know I am stupidly passionate about every ukulele I offer. Like insanely passionate and therefore super picky about the brands and models I offer. I have nothing against the Baritone... but if anyone called me about Baritones I felt like my normal passionate fire for them was not there. And yall deserve my best!

So though I hate to lose any business. I want to be the best at everything I offer and so therefore would rather specialize in what I have the most passion for!

And space.

And Martins.

And more Ohanas.

And Rebels.

And like an obscene amount of Ohanas.

KoAlohas too... tons of 'em.

Did I mention Ohanas out the ears?

Just not Baritone Ohanas.

I love you guys more than you know and thanks for being awesome! Seriously! I love my ukulele community and UU family. I need to get back on here more often.

Last edited:
Great service and set-ups? Here are the best I've dealt with........

Hawaii Music Supply
Uke Republic
Mim's*
Elderly
Mainland

Unfortunately, Mim is no longer stocking many baritones, except for higher-end customs. She is a perfectionist, and really does GREAT set-ups. But she has her reasons for the decision regarding baritones. I support and trust her. Not for me to speak for her, though.

Look at you! Nail on the head! And it makes me smile that you "get" me. Yep... perfectionist and Baritones give me anxiety because budget Baritones are hard to get right.

My guess would be not enough sales. I probably know fifty uke players from the three groups I'm in, and I know of only three who occasionally play a baritone. With such low demand, which ones would you buy and stock?

Want your mind blown? Too many sales. Across the board! And I want to stay a one-woman trusted home-spun hard-working operation. This helped pump the brakes, and it is more manageable now, AND everything is still ALWAYS set up by me!

Preach brother Mike!

Mainland Baritones yall! They are awesome! Main Mike is the man and will hook you up! Mim phased them out... so hit up my buddy Mainland.

Last edited:
Mim.

Always honest.

Always the best!

Love ya!!

I try! I do frustrate some customers because I am a little too honest. Especially if it is a subjective opinion. Strings are the worst for that, "You may like them... or you may not. I dont want to say for sure because it would them be opinion."

This was all very enlightening, Mim. Thanks for all the info about your business, phasing out baritones, etc. If I'm ever in the market for a non-baritone, I'll check your website first!

Top Bottom