A new book on building ukuleles

I’ll definitely back it again. I was sorely tempted to do the concert reward, but we’re in the process of buying a house and my wife would skin me alive for such fiscal irresponsibility.

I did all the sums on getting the print run done and mailing out those copies pre-ordered through Kickstarter and the Kickstarter total is what that would have cost. I will likely do a smaller digital print run (rather than the full colour offset printing) and just sell them directly as well as the ePub version which should be available in a couple of weeks. Mailing copies from Australia will be expensive for folks not in Australia, and while I can get short-run digital printing done in the US, I won't be able to include the full size printed plans which I would like to include. The option is to make those available as a pdf that purchasers can get printed out themselves.

Cheers

I won't be able to include the full size printed plans which I would like to include. The option is to make those available as a pdf that purchasers can get printed out themselves.

This is great and I love that you have tackled this project. However, doing the PDF option on the plans is problematic. Since these would be full sized plans, they would be bigger than most people can print on their printers (8 1/2 by 11 inch). It can be done of course, but requires the use of scotch tape and patience. They could take it into a print shop too, but that is a pain too. Consider putting in ledger marks (?) on the plans to help with the home printer. Good luck and I wish you the best of luck and success.

I found it wasn’t a huge hassle to take my phone with the LMI plans to the print shop inside a local Staples. They were sized perfectly for whatever the standard dimensions are in that format (I think it's 24x36). I've seen other smaller print places with large format machines as well. Obviously, the more info into each drawing, the more economical it is at the other end (the LMI plans are on 5 separate pages and kind of redundant)

I did all the sums on getting the print run done and mailing out those copies pre-ordered through Kickstarter and the Kickstarter total is what that would have cost. I will likely do a smaller digital print run (rather than the full colour offset printing) and just sell them directly as well as the ePub version which should be available in a couple of weeks. Mailing copies from Australia will be expensive for folks not in Australia, and while I can get short-run digital printing done in the US, I won't be able to include the full size printed plans which I would like to include. The option is to make those available as a pdf that purchasers can get printed out themselves.

Cheers

You could include a link or something for the printouts for people to print out themselves- the soprano and concert size uke bodies fit on a typical office paper size. Also, it's easy to take the tenor and baritone sizes to the local printer.

Graham, I've been away for a while and hadn't checked this. Even though it now looks like Plan A might not work, I just pledged in support of Plan B, whatever that might be.

For those who haven't tried to find comprehensive printed sources on ukulele building, there are a few things out there but not anywhere near what the subject deserves. This one promises to be right there with the best.

Good luck!

I have cancelled the Kickstarter project, as it was never going to make the target. Thanks to all those who supported the project. The ePub version will be available soon and I will do a small, digital print run with B&W photos rather than colour as soon as I do all the conversions to B&W and finalise the plans. The hard copies will be printed here in Australia so postage will be expensive to anywhere else in the world, but I should be able to get my distributor in the US to do print-on demand copies as well, with the plans downloadable as a pdf.

Thanks again

Graham

Top Bottom