My Cherry Soprano with Top Thickness Concerns.

Brett S.

Reaction score
I strung this up last week. Figured cherry with mahogany neck.

Happy with it. Nice playability and sweet sound. But I have a concern.

After less than a week, I've noticed a ripple in the top. Like you can see the torsion of the bridge, and it doesn't go away with releasing string tension.

The top is very thin, maybe too thin? There is very little in the way of bracing. Just a mahogany bridge plate/brace per the Martin plan I copied.

I first strung it up with nylon strings. Did not sound very good, and intonation problems. Switched to soprano/concert fluorocarbon string set, and intonation problem no more.

What should I do? Should I be worried? I have a crazy idea to try to add some braces, but not sure how I'd pull that off. IMG_20190730_071321424.jpgIMG_20190730_071435986.jpgIMG_20190728_091821017.jpg

Its funny how different the grain looks inside and out. The inside of the top shows a cathedral pattern while the outside looks straight grained....Maybe the wood isn't very stable if the humidity changes.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse over time

Its funny how different the grain looks inside and out. The inside of the top shows a cathedral pattern while the outside looks straight grained....Maybe the wood isn't very stable if the humidity changes.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse over time

Good eye. No the picture with the bracing is another one I am currently working on, which is flat sawn. This is the correct pictureIMG_20190619_145506839_HDR.jpg with bracing before assembly.

On some very responsive guitars you will see a dip in the front of the bridge and a bit of a belly behind. Maybe that is what you are seeing?

On some very responsive guitars you will see a dip in the front of the bridge and a bit of a belly behind. Maybe that is what you are seeing?

Yes, that is exactly it. It is surprising to me how fast it developed, in less than a week. I think I found the limit.

I agree with the other responses. It is quite normal for a slight wave to develop in the front of a soprano uke, with that traditional style of bracing. I would be more concerned it it had remained perfectly flat.

If the bridge starts to tilt alarmingly, that is another matter.

John Colter.

ps. That is a splendid looking little instrument.

Top Bottom