What's up with the Blackbird secondary market?

YogiTom

Reaction score
(Not naming names or specific posts so much as calling out something I have noticed over the past few months of casual marketplace browsing)

I may be mistaken (happens quite a bit), but it feels like whenever I see a listing for either Blackbird uke pop up on the marketplace here or elsewhere that the initial asking price is just slightly less than or equal to what the new "stock" instrument would cost.

Compared to other brands, it always seems like the Blackbird ukes are resold (or at least hope to be sold) at a much higher price than I would ever pay for one second-hand. The normal 25-30% off original purchase price does not seem to apply to this brand from the listings I've seen.

I've also noticed that many listings seem to come up for sale shortly after being received by the original owner. To me, this doesn't make me excited to buy, even though I too have been excited by a new uke only to turn around and sell or return it shortly after buying. I get that people might not love something once they hold it, but this feels different. In my mind, perhaps more akin to ordering a custom uke from a wood-working luthier, fully spec'd out to your liking, and then deciding "meh...not for me".

And I'm not sure it matters too much (i.e., just something that bugs me personally), but in any given Blackbird listing there is almost always a reference to "how long you would have to wait should you buy one new"...why? It is just a few weeks. It's not like getting in line for a Hive, where there is a real investment of time to wait for your new build.

Why--with this brand and no others--do folks feel compelled to spell out how the ordering process works in their sales pitch? To me it just reads, "Hey, you could order the uke you really want, spec'd out the way you want and you could wait a couple weeks for it to be built. Or you can pay basically the same amount for my customized uke and get it now!" Aside from the instant gratification, what is the benefit of reminding potential buyers that they could always just order their own from Blackbird?

I realize the answers to these questions and observations might not have any rhyme or reason...I'm just hoping someone has some other perspective as to what is going on with this brand and why they are listed at such a higher asking price relative to original price when compared to the rest of the secondary market.

I appreciate any insight y'all might have.
-Jeff

Last edited:
This is not universally true. There is a (2 year old) Clara on Craigslist, near Seattle, going for $800.

As for the relatively high price, I see it as simply a case of supply vs demand. Since they are not selling at a higher price than originally purchased, it’s not arbitrage.

As for the sales pitch, I think you spelled out the reasoning perfectly.
~R

I’ve made a similar observation yogitom. Add to the equation options that I wouldn’t have opted for taking a used instrument above the new price for a spec I’d select if buying new. Buying used is frequently accepting another’s build choices, buy paying near retail for them is a put off.

As far as the catch and release, I suspect this to be the same for many builds and buyers and not unique to Blackbird. While this is only one opinion, buying my Farallon began an interest in getting a Clara as well.

They are of limited availability so sellers price them at what the market will bear. In this day and age of instant everything many people don’t want to wait weeks or months for a new one. I owned a Farallon for almost one year then sold it for 30% below retail just like all other high end ukes are priced.

Blackbirds fall somewhere between custom and production models and this leads to pricing/resale situations as you describe. I can speak to my Clara: I ordered one with a radiused fretboard AND fret markers on the top, $245 add ons. Wait time is closer to three months than three weeks, no matter what they say on the site. They likely produce 300 - 400 units (includes Farallons and maybe guitars) annually so scarcity can be an issue. So at a price paid of $1540, what would resale be? Well, radiused is rarer and front dots rarer still (from my observations). Would 25% off be fair? Now you get a radiused FB for less than a new standard one with no visible wear. What about if you paid $425 for the sunburst finish? Or the pickup?

I actually have followed many of the Clara resales and found the prices to be fair. Many have added a pickup and perhaps a finish. I would not pay for the finish (and chose not to partly because I like the standard better). Assumption is the sound is consistent so it would be like picking up a new one without the wait at the lowered price.

I think they mainly hold their price because they are durable and play better than 90% of Ukes. You never have to question the humidification back story. And yes the production is longer than three weeks. I would be prepared for at least two months.

These are all great and very welcome perspectives! As I said, I’ve been known to be wrong, and perhaps my more casual browsing vs actual price research accounts for my opinion more than I’d realized.

I may also have more of an issue with the actual sales pitches than anything else, now that we’re talking about it. I’m perfectly happy to wait for something (even months or potentially years) if I’m going to be investing a good chunk of change on it, but I suppose that isn’t a very popular viewpoint.

I’m going to be in market for a Blackbird Farallon. I use the 25-30% equation for all used ukes. I read all Clara and a Farallon offers, check to see what add on’s are “special” but agree with many, I can wait if price is at retail or close to it. Good luck to anyone selling at whatever they can get. I wish more Farallon ukes had fretboard markers. I’d likely have pulled the trigger long ago on a stock until if they had fretboard markers. It’s just me. I like the reference point.

I also, take into consideration the rep of the seller. Seeing low post isn’t always bad and I’m sure when I put up some ukes for sake in future I may suffer the “never sold anything on the forum thing” but I always try to be fair talking with seller.

Anyways, just an opinion.

I just passed on a used Clara (albeit with some minor cosmetic repair) posted on FMM for $600. I didn't pull the trigger because another project came up at the same time. The Clara sold quickly after that.

If you buy new, do you also pay for sales tax and shipping? That could drive the cost up as well.

Also, as I understand it due to their manufacturing process, the instruments are remarkably consistent without as much variation from copy to copy. That could keep the instruments’ value as well.

Last edited:
I just passed on a used Clara (albeit with some minor cosmetic repair) posted on FMM for $600. I didn't pull the trigger because another project came up at the same time. The Clara sold quickly after that.

FMM? Is this another place I need to know about and follow?

This is my personal Clara purchase story. I wanted a Clara for travel/outdoor/camping. I had hesitated for some time because of the cost. 5 or 6 people in my uke groups own Claras, so I had the opportunity to “test drive” one. Once I decided to get one, I began searching for a used one. I wanted a basic model, and many of the used ones had extras that I could take or leave. The used ones for good prices went fast and I missed out. With summer on the horizon, a 10 week or longer wait would have meant no Clara for summer activities. A basic model popped up on HMS. Bingo. Exactly what I wanted with a perfect set-up, and it arrived quickly.

Maybe people who choose a quick sale for a modest bargain versus a direct order have a specific plan for using their Clara like I did. Or maybe they just really want one, and even a modest bargain is good enough for them.

As a former Clara owner, I can say that they are great ukuleles and the people at Blackbird are first rate and very responsive. That said, it does depend on which used Clara is being purchased. Changes (improvements) have been made to the design since it first came to market. If I were to buy a Clara again, I would not buy one of the earlier 2015 models.

I would also not buy one that had been repaired. Mine had a repair done to the double-top soundboard that did not hold up. These are not wood ukuleles, that can be fixed by a competent luthier. There is also a bit of a concern when I see repaired Claras for sale. I chalk it up to the perception that because the Clara is synthetic it can take any abuse.

John

Asking price is one thing, and selling price is another. Look at any item on eBay and then click on "Sold items" down the left column, and you'll see what they actually sold for.

I've bought and sold a few used ukes, and the ones I've bought have been like new, so my question would be, why is the price so much lower than for a new one? It's great when you're buying, but not so great when you're selling. It's not like a car that has lots of miles on it. One-third of my current ukes were bought used.

Many people think they can just go online and buy the uke of their choice. Unfortunately, that's often not possible, and waiting weeks or months is not unusual. I must admit that I've never seen that mentioned in an ad, but I've never shopped for a Clara.

I've sold 36 ukes, and I've averaged 86.8% of what I paid. Some I gave away, and for some, people offered me more than I paid. In a couple of cases, I bought a uke at a low price, so selling it for market value got me a profit. Buying used ukes makes it easy to sell for the price I paid.

I've never sold a uke quickly after buying it, but I understand how that could happen. You receive a uke, and you just don't bond with it. The feel and the sound aren't right for you.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to agree with the group here saying the Blackbirds are high quality ukes with very consistant feel, look and sound, and all are GREAT! Any of the big K and even custom ukes will usually play consistently great but vary in look and more importantly sound because wood varies. Sometimes you have some control over look if you get to choose from wood sets, but at the end of the day, every piece of wood (and that's most of what goes into traditional ukes) has it's own sound characteristics. So unless you get to play the uke before buying it (not usual unless you're in Hawaii) you roll the dice or how yours will sound (and sometimes look). Enter Blackbird where the build is consistent as is the look and especially the sound (which in my opinion is consistantly great, big, warm and clean). Add to that the whole thing about humidity/temp resistant and "no trees killed in the making" and you start to understand why they are in demand, and in short supply. Yes I am one of the buyers who payed a few hundred $$$ less for a near new Farallon that I came across by advertising I wanted to to buy one (never was actually listed for sale), and it immediately became one of my favorite players (and I have some pretty great ukes). And the fact that it is weather resistant and I can use it in my all ukulele band when the weather is "iffy", or take it sailing around high humidity, is icing on the cake! And also the electronics Blackbird is using are top shelf as well.
Like many others here, I have bought and sold many high end ukes that I at least got to judge the look of before buying. I usually play them for a while until the next uke comes along and betters the look, sound or playability, then the lesser uke gets sold (in a feeble attempt to keep my uke numbers somewhat under control). Unless Blackbird comes out with something newer and better, my Farallon won't be for sale!

I have been totally happy with my Blackbirds. Clara, Farallon and a Rider Six Guitar.
We travel in an RV, the durability is important. My significant other loves her BTU and it is her main ukulele.
Considering the wait to get one built, I see no reason to heavily discount a used Blackbird, unless it has been damaged. They are extremely consistent produced instruments.

At the moment Blackbird is listing the Clara build time at 5 weeks. Also at the moment, there is a 2018 used Clara with a couple added options listed for a few hundred dollars less than the new build price with those options. It all depends on what suits the buyer. Do they want brand new, with their exact desired features at full price, regardless of the wait time? Do they want a used model that maybe has the options they want, at a modest discount? Or perhaps they'll fall somewhere in between like I did and luck into a brand new model, full price, right options, well known dealer, less than 2 week delivery. A desirable ukulele, with a somewhat limited availability, and a few different options for purchase sounds pretty normal to me. Kind of like the aNueNue Moon Birds. People like them, not a lot of dealers sell them, and a few people sell them used.

If you buy new, do you also pay for sales tax and shipping? That could drive the cost up as well.

Also, as I understand it due to their manufacturing process, the instruments are remarkably consistent without as much variation from copy to copy. That could keep the instruments’ value as well.

Sales tax - No; shipping - depends.

Top Bottom