Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build - Fred Shields Custom Long Neck Soprano

Nickie, I could be incorrect. It may have been only Taimane's South Florida debut. Do you mean the Strummin' Man Festival in St. Andrews?
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I thought I remembered Taimane being here a year or so ago, at the 1st uke festival in the Panhandle. A friend of mine went and said she was amazing.

Sycamore being one of the fastest growing woods there is, I didn't know you could make a soundboard of of it.....
    Actually Nickie of number of custom builders use Sycamore fairly often. Kinnard, Pete Howlett and Mya Moe come to mind. I owned an all sycamore Mya Moe tenor, a close friend and playing partner owns it now. It is a wonderful sounding instrument and the back and top were one piece, not book matched.

Maybe there are different subspecies of sycamore.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    Glad to see you back Lenny........you have been missed my friend. Congrats on the Shields, real nice wood combo.
    Thanks Steve. It’s been awhile, but I’ve recently been lurking and have missed being here. It’s nice to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Sycamore being one of the fastest growing woods there is, I didn't know you could make a soundboard of of it.....
    Hi Nickie.

I’ve never heard a Sycamore top, but did some reviewing and I’m looking forward to the end result. I have given my trust to the builder and there certainly are a number of people who have already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchettadavid View Post
    Welcome back to UU fold, Lenny. When Taimane Gardner gave her Florida debut concert about a month and a half ago, I was surprised I not to find you in the audience. Glad to see you return.

Sycamore and cherry with a jarah fretboard? Your Fred Shields custom specs fascinate me. What is the rationale behind the acrylic nut and saddle?
    Hi David.

I was out of the country then, so I have to get caught up on who is coming to Penny Lane.

I’m not really familiar with Jarah, but as with the acrylic nut and saddle, I’m going with his guidance. It should be here in the next few weeks.

The next time we get together, I’ll bring it. When will you be in South Florida again?

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Attachment 120172Attachment 120171

So good to have you back my friend. Nothing like a custom ukes to get you excited and back in the swing of things.

Have you given thought to Gotoh UPT tuners instead of friction tuners. Both Brenda and I have them on our Fred Shields. Mine are black on black they work great , my fav tuners and I think they look sharp
    I also highly recomend UPT tuners. I have the all black versions on my FS also.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchettadavid View Post
    Welcome back to UU fold, Lenny. When Taimane Gardner gave her Florida debut concert about a month and a half ago, I was surprised I not to find you in the audience. Glad to see you return.

Sycamore and cherry with a jarah fretboard? Your Fred Shields custom specs fascinate me. What is the rationale behind the acrylic nut and saddle?
    I'm not exactly sure why he likes to use acrylic for the nut/saddle. I asked him what my other options were, and the only other material option he gave me at the time was black TUSQ. So I went with the TUSQ.
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 08-01-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
    I also highly recomend UPT tuners. I have the all black versions on my FS also.

I'm not exactly sure why he likes to use acrylic for the nut/saddle. I asked him what my other options were, and the only other material option he gave me at the time was black TUSQ. So I went with the TUSQ.
    Regarding the nut and saddle, I decided to go with his advice. I am looking forward to joining the FS family.

I see you are in WPB. Do you get over to Penny Lane in Ft. Lauderdale for some of their events?

Here are some pictures.

The first one is the type of wood that will adorn the top which is Sycamore.

20190729_092815.jpg

The next is the headstock I chose.

20190729_104254.jpg

These were others that I had a choice of:

20190729_104005.jpg

20190729_104125.jpg

20190729_104502.jpg
    Last edited by rappsy; 08-02-2019 at 11:37 AM.

That sycamore is going to be fabulous when it's finished. I think the "bullet" headstock shape is great.

Can't wait to see the finished item.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by rappsy View Post
    The next time we get together, I’ll bring it. When will you be in South Florida again?
    I still live in inland South Florida. PM sent.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thread Information