New Build - Fred Shields Custom Long Neck Soprano

rappsy

Reaction score
Build Pictures are #18, 24, and #25.

I'm working my way back.

After a long absence due to a variety of circumstances, I am trying to get back into the swing of things and what better way to do it than to commission a new hand made solid wood Uke.

As most of us would follow Brenda (solorule) off a cliff, I too decided to drink the Kool Aid and see what she was so excited about when it came to Fred Shields and his Ukuleles, a very experienced Uke builder near San Diego, California.

I spent lots of time talking with her and questioned a few others and, after many emails with a very accommodating and quick to answer Mr Shields himself, I decided on the following:

The list is my descriptions of what I am getting, so it may not be technically worded correctly.

* Modified Pineapple Soprano Body. (pictures to follows to show sizing.)

* Sycamore Top. (He showed me a spralted piece that looked great.)

* Sycamore on the headstock to match body. (Rounded top shape).

* Cherry back and sides.

* Concert scale neck (14 7/8)

* 1.5 neck neck width.

* Flat 5/8 inch neck or approximate, D shaped.

* 14 frets to the body.

* 2 1/4 inch depth at the bout.

* Mahogany Neck.

* Gotoh UPT's.

* Rosewood bindings.

* Indian Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge.

* Nut and Saddle are black acrylic.

* Low Action.

* High G reentrant tuning.

Pictures will follow as I get them from Mr Shields.

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpg

So good to have you back my friend. Nothing like a custom ukes to get you excited and back in the swing of things.

Have you given thought to Gotoh UPT tuners instead of friction tuners. Both Brenda and I have them on our Fred Shields. Mine are black on black they work great , my fav tuners and I think they look sharp

Hi Dave:

I actually had that on the original order, but decided to take it off as I thought the weight of it, considering this is already a concert scale, would make it top heavy. He recommended using Grover Frictions, so I took his advice. I also thought that Brenda had frictions.

As I know you love this kind of thing, wait till you see the pic of the spralted sycamore piece of wood that he is working with. You'll appreciate it.

Last edited:
Lenny, I also have the concert neck super soprano pineapple. I don’t find it head heavy but I do use a strap. If you notice I have it strung low G with wound 4th & 3rd strings. The long neck and pineapple body shape support that tuning surprisingly well.

206FE0CA-64D6-4EDB-A21B-CB9CB6501F4F.jpg

I very rarely use straps, but after discussions with Mr. Shields, we decided on this. If I find that the frictions aren't working as well as I'd like, I'll have them replaced locally.

I am going to have it reentrant initally, but am considering the possibility of one day going Low G. I would put on some sort of squeakless strings as the wound sounds drive me up a wall...

You're walnut Uke is really something. I'm looking forward to adding this top to the contingent of FS Ukes.

Glad to see you back Lenny........you have been missed my friend. Congrats on the Shields, real nice wood combo.

Last edited:
Welcome back to UU fold, Lenny. When Taimane Gardner gave her Florida debut concert about a month and a half ago, I was surprised I not to find you in the audience. Glad to see you return.

Sycamore and cherry with a jarah fretboard? Your Fred Shields custom specs fascinate me. What is the rationale behind the acrylic nut and saddle?

Welcome back to UU fold, Lenny. When Taimane Gardner gave her Florida debut concert about a month and a half ago, I was surprised I not to find you in the audience. Glad to see you return.

Sycamore and cherry with a jarah fretboard? Your Fred Shields custom specs fascinate me. What is the rationale behind the acrylic nut and saddle?

I thought I remembered Taimane being here a year or so ago, at the 1st uke festival in the Panhandle. A friend of mine went and said she was amazing.

Sycamore being one of the fastest growing woods there is, I didn't know you could make a soundboard of of it.....

I thought I remembered Taimane being here a year or so ago, at the 1st uke festival in the Panhandle. A friend of mine went and said she was amazing.

Sycamore being one of the fastest growing woods there is, I didn't know you could make a soundboard of of it.....

Actually Nickie of number of custom builders use Sycamore fairly often. Kinnard, Pete Howlett and Mya Moe come to mind. I owned an all sycamore Mya Moe tenor, a close friend and playing partner owns it now. It is a wonderful sounding instrument and the back and top were one piece, not book matched.

Maybe there are different subspecies of sycamore.

Glad to see you back Lenny........you have been missed my friend. Congrats on the Shields, real nice wood combo.

Thanks Steve. It’s been awhile, but I’ve recently been lurking and have missed being here. It’s nice to be missed.

Hi Nickie.

I’ve never heard a Sycamore top, but did some reviewing and I’m looking forward to the end result. I have given my trust to the builder and there certainly are a number of people who have already done so.

Hi David.

I was out of the country then, so I have to get caught up on who is coming to Penny Lane.

I’m not really familiar with Jarah, but as with the acrylic nut and saddle, I’m going with his guidance. It should be here in the next few weeks.

The next time we get together, I’ll bring it. When will you be in South Florida again?

View attachment 120172View attachment 120171

So good to have you back my friend. Nothing like a custom ukes to get you excited and back in the swing of things.

Have you given thought to Gotoh UPT tuners instead of friction tuners. Both Brenda and I have them on our Fred Shields. Mine are black on black they work great , my fav tuners and I think they look sharp

I also highly recomend UPT tuners. I have the all black versions on my FS also.

LHXb8xdh.jpg

I'm not exactly sure why he likes to use acrylic for the nut/saddle. I asked him what my other options were, and the only other material option he gave me at the time was black TUSQ. So I went with the TUSQ.

Last edited:
I also highly recomend UPT tuners. I have the all black versions on my FS also.

LHXb8xdh.jpg

I'm not exactly sure why he likes to use acrylic for the nut/saddle. I asked him what my other options were, and the only other material option he gave me at the time was black TUSQ. So I went with the TUSQ.

Regarding the nut and saddle, I decided to go with his advice. I am looking forward to joining the FS family.

I see you are in WPB. Do you get over to Penny Lane in Ft. Lauderdale for some of their events?

Here are some pictures.

The first one is the type of wood that will adorn the top which is Sycamore.

20190729_092815.jpg

The next is the headstock I chose.

20190729_104254.jpg

These were others that I had a choice of:

20190729_104005.jpg

20190729_104125.jpg

20190729_104502.jpg

Last edited:
That sycamore is going to be fabulous when it's finished. I think the "bullet" headstock shape is great.

Can't wait to see the finished item.

Top Bottom