New Build - Fred Shields Custom Long Neck Soprano

Regarding the nut and saddle, I decided to go with his advice. I am looking forward to joining the FS family.

I see you are in WPB. Do you get over to Penny Lane in Ft. Lauderdale for some of their events?

No I haven't been able to stop by Penny Lane yet :(

About 5 months ago I was going with my wife to her doctors appointment in Ft Lauderdale, and we drove right by it, but didn't have time to stop.

That sycamore is going to be fabulous when it's finished. I think the "bullet" headstock shape is great.

Can't wait to see the finished item.

It shouldn't be too much longer. From what I understand, his builds only take a couple of weeks.

No I haven't been able to stop by Penny Lane yet :(

About 5 months ago I was going with my wife to her doctors appointment in Ft Lauderdale, and we drove right by it, but didn't have time to stop.

It's worth getting on their mailing list for the performers that they bring in. I have seen Kimo Hussey, Sarah and Craig, Jim DeVille, Stu Fuks, and others there. The people are really easy to work with as well.

Last edited:
More pictures

20190730_112133.jpg

20190730_111528 (1).jpg

20190730_103826 (1).jpg

... and now it's beginning to look like a Uke...

20190805_091343.jpg

20190806_111118 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Lenny
This is coming along nicely ! The wood looks very unique!
Fred told me he is using a larger pineapple body on yours ! It should give you even more volume than mine and Dave!
By the look of it, you may have it in your hand by end of the month or sooner.

We have gone back to UPT's so I am now waiting for the last things to be done.

20190810_125744.jpg

Mine is the one in front.

That new uke should inspire you Lenny! I love the look of Sycamore. Might have to drink that koolaid soon.

Diggin that top! :drool:

Diggin that top! :drool:
I agree. That sycamore is probably the most interesting sycamore figuring I have seen. Excellent choice Lenny. I guess it is a spalted sycamore? Thanks for build updates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I agree. That sycamore is probably the most interesting sycamore figuring I have seen. Excellent choice Lenny. I guess it is a spalted sycamore? Thanks for build updates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi Hodge. Long time.

Yes, he said it was a spalted piece. It looked gorgeous as a single piece. It looks like it is becoming a gorgeous uke as well.

Top Bottom