What strings do you like on your Kamaka Tenor?

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all, I just aquired a nice Kamaka HF-3 (Centennial model) here on UU. I'll be the 1st to admit, after playing 3 of the 4 Big K koa tenors side by side early this year in Hawaii, Kamaka was my least favorite. Not saying it has a bad sound, just that I preferred Kanile'a and KoAloha over it. But I wanted a nice version of each and Kamaka is the last to snag. Obviously the Centennial model is now 4 years old, so the wood has opened up a little. My question is have any of you Kamaka players out there found strings you prefer over the stock black strings Kamaka uses? Or are the original Kamaka strings the best pairing? I know strings are very personal, not just sound but feel comes into play. I find I can deal with most any feel to get strings that sound best for a particular uke. And the sound I prefer is warm and full but still clean. Unless I'm trying to brighten up a "dull" (or maybe mellow is a nicer way to say it) uke, I usually stay away from bright strings. This Kamaka is not a dull uke by any stretch. So rather than randomly trying different strings that I've liked on my other ukes, I thought I'd throw the question out there and maybe luck into a shortcut! Please help, and thanks for your opinions!

I usually go against the grain here on this site, but I like the stock Kamakas. I have several Kamakas of all sizes, including cedar and have Kamaka strings on all of them. But I am particular about FEEL of the strings, just as much as the sound. I've tried some other brands of strings and returned to the Kamakas. To me the other products are thinner; they feel like fishing line and irriate my fingers (I mostly do fingerstyle with intermittent strumming). I also like to bend and slide alot along the frets and the slightly thicker Kamaka strings are pleasant and fun to me for that purpose. I am happy with sound with the Kamakas, and for me to not put down the uke it has to feel right. I think they knew what they were doing when they chose the stock strings, but again most people here switch them out.

I've always wondered about Kamaka strings...……….few seem to like them, but Kamaka sticks with them. Anyway, a couple of suggestions for warm and full. Living Waters are warm with nice projection and good sustain. They can be a bit bright depending on the uke, but a concert set with less tension on your tenor may be the trick.
I'm also a fan of PHD strings, similar to LW, but with a bit more punch. I like both PHD and LW reentrant, but prefer both with a wound G string (like a Fremont Soloist) for linear tuning.

I've used both Living Water and Martin on my HF2. (have never played a HF3.)
I'm not a fan of the Kamaka strings, but like either of the above on the HF2, with Living Water being my preferred string.

If playing it with low G, I use the Freemont Soloist.

I really, really enjoy the HF2 with either of my preferred strings. :)

I like Living Waters Low-G on my HF-3. I tried the Martin Fluoros on it and they felt like I was trying to play a cheese slicer. Really hard on my fingers. A little bright for me. Worth Browns were a little too warm. While the Worth Clears seemed a little dull.

I didn't get a chance to play the Kamaka strings. When I spec'd Low-Gs, HMS put on Worth Clears. Now I think their go-to strings are Ko'olau.

I like the oasis strings for linear and the Martin premium strings for reentrant. The Frankenstein set sounds really nice on my Otha-San and I’ve been meaning to get around to adding the sound c and g strings to my tenor

Worth clears for over a decade.

For the same reasons as you, I wanted a Kamaka tenor to go with my Martins, and KoAlohas. I just got a Kamaka HF-3 last week and when I got it out of the box and played it, I was not a fan. I decided to change the strings to a new set of custom strings that I have just recently learned about and have become a huge fan. I changed the strings out and I can't put this Kamaka down. The tonal quality is incredible. Each note is so clear. I play with low-G and I find that with this string combination, the Low-G does not dominate but provides exception balance and fills the sound out more. These are Savarez Alliance KF Alliance (Carbon) Single Strings | Classical Guitar Strings. (KF 60A - ist, KF 71 - 2nd, KF 81A - 3rd, KF 62A - 4th). I purchased a Martin Tenor here on UU and the seller put on this new set of strings. I already had a Martin Tenor so I could easily compare the two. This Savarez set wins hands down, for me, and it helped to make my new Kamaka a joy to play. Congrats on the new purchase. I was hoping to pick that one up but needed to sell my Martin first. My delay was your win-- it is a beautiful ukulele.

My HF3 wears a set of low G Worth Clears. Nothing wrong with the stock strings, just wanted to try something different.

My Kamaka tenor has Martins in it now and I just switched from high G to low G by using a Fremont Soloist. I have some Living Water Strings coming in the mail, both regular and a custom low tension set.

Overall I like the sound of the Martins but I wouldn’t mind a little less tension. I am used to playing in a radiused neck and am thinking that a bit less tension on the strings may make playing on a non radiused neck a little easier. Just a hunch, I could be just making that idea up.

I really didn't like the stock Kamaka strings so I cycled through a couple of different sets before settling on Worth Brown Low G's. It really shines with the low G, but I kind of still want to try the Fremont Soloist to see how it drives the Koa vs the flourocarbon of the worth low g.

Worth Browns + koa seems to be a match made in heaven. Sorta like beer and pizza.

(My T1K wears Worth Browns)

My Kamaka tenor has Martins in it now and I just switched from high G to low G by using a Fremont Soloist. I have some Living Water Strings coming in the mail, both regular and a custom low tension set.

Overall I like the sound of the Martins but I wouldn’t mind a little less tension. I am used to playing in a radiused neck and am thinking that a bit less tension on the strings may make playing on a non radiused neck a little easier. Just a hunch, I could be just making that idea up.

I have not tried it yet, but recent posts indicate that using concert strings on a tenor results in a lighter tension on the strings. With the same GCEA tuning.

I've come a bit late to this thread but on my Kamaka I normally use worth browns (the clear ones make it sound too tinny for my taste). However, just for giggles I tried the Fremont black lines. They are fine as well. Just to be in a state of full disclosure I should add that I use concert strings on the tenor and that I only tighten the strings until I get the tension I want (with the Fremonts, I have the Kamaka tuned to E A F# C#). I do have a set of Living Water concert strings to put on the Kamaka, but I have been hesitant merely for aesthetic reasons; I don't fancy the look of those non-dark strings sitting atop a dark fret board. I asked Ken about it and he said there would be no way that he'd ever turn out dark strings.

Thanks to everyone for the great input, You've mentioned a couple of sets I'll try out next. Sounds like several of you have switched over to low G on your Kamaka's. I really like both re-entrant and linear tunings depending on the music I'm playing, and I have a couple of each. I'm still not sure which lends itself to the Kamaka best but may head Low for a listen. Thanks again!

Thanks, this Kamaka is a great example from this great brand. I also have a Custom Shop Martin 3K tenor that I play with Martin strings and a low G and it's one of my favs.

New Strings

For the same reasons as you, I wanted a Kamaka tenor to go with my Martins, and KoAlohas. I just got a Kamaka HF-3 last week and when I got it out of the box and played it, I was not a fan. I decided to change the strings to a new set of custom strings that I have just recently learned about and have become a huge fan. I changed the strings out and I can't put this Kamaka down. The tonal quality is incredible. Each note is so clear. I play with low-G and I find that with this string combination, the Low-G does not dominate but provides exception balance and fills the sound out more. These are Savarez Alliance KF Alliance (Carbon) Single Strings | Classical Guitar Strings. (KF 60A - ist, KF 71 - 2nd, KF 81A - 3rd, KF 62A - 4th). I purchased a Martin Tenor here on UU and the seller put on this new set of strings. I already had a Martin Tenor so I could easily compare the two. This Savarez set wins hands down, for me, and it helped to make my new Kamaka a joy to play. Congrats on the new purchase. I was hoping to pick that one up but needed to sell my Martin first. My delay was your win-- it is a beautiful ukulele.

Well I got a set of the Savarez as you specified except they didn't have an "A" after the numbers? Did I get the wrong ones? These have a High G. Obviously I can't play it very long without retuning but I like the feel and I think the sound is gonna be good. Stay tuned...

Top Bottom