Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What strings do you like on your Kamaka Tenor?

My HF3 wears a set of low G Worth Clears. Nothing wrong with the stock strings, just wanted to try something different.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

My Kamaka tenor has Martins in it now and I just switched from high G to low G by using a Fremont Soloist. I have some Living Water Strings coming in the mail, both regular and a custom low tension set.

Overall I like the sound of the Martins but I wouldn’t mind a little less tension. I am used to playing in a radiused neck and am thinking that a bit less tension on the strings may make playing on a non radiused neck a little easier. Just a hunch, I could be just making that idea up.
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    Mya Moe Tenor (myrtle)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)

I really didn't like the stock Kamaka strings so I cycled through a couple of different sets before settling on Worth Brown Low G's. It really shines with the low G, but I kind of still want to try the Fremont Soloist to see how it drives the Koa vs the flourocarbon of the worth low g.
    -Ben

KoAloha Pineapple Sunday 6 String
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    1928 Harmony Johnny Marvin
    Ohana TK-39
    c. 1970's Hikare Baritone
    Gretsch G9100
    Outdoor Ukulele Soprano #43

Videos

Worth Browns + koa seems to be a match made in heaven. Sorta like beer and pizza.

(My T1K wears Worth Browns)
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

Quote Originally Posted by fretie View Post
    My Kamaka tenor has Martins in it now and I just switched from high G to low G by using a Fremont Soloist. I have some Living Water Strings coming in the mail, both regular and a custom low tension set.

Overall I like the sound of the Martins but I wouldn’t mind a little less tension. I am used to playing in a radiused neck and am thinking that a bit less tension on the strings may make playing on a non radiused neck a little easier. Just a hunch, I could be just making that idea up.
    I have not tried it yet, but recent posts indicate that using concert strings on a tenor results in a lighter tension on the strings. With the same GCEA tuning.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I've come a bit late to this thread but on my Kamaka I normally use worth browns (the clear ones make it sound too tinny for my taste). However, just for giggles I tried the Fremont black lines. They are fine as well. Just to be in a state of full disclosure I should add that I use concert strings on the tenor and that I only tighten the strings until I get the tension I want (with the Fremonts, I have the Kamaka tuned to E A F# C#). I do have a set of Living Water concert strings to put on the Kamaka, but I have been hesitant merely for aesthetic reasons; I don't fancy the look of those non-dark strings sitting atop a dark fret board. I asked Ken about it and he said there would be no way that he'd ever turn out dark strings.

Thanks to everyone for the great input, You've mentioned a couple of sets I'll try out next. Sounds like several of you have switched over to low G on your Kamaka's. I really like both re-entrant and linear tunings depending on the music I'm playing, and I have a couple of each. I'm still not sure which lends itself to the Kamaka best but may head Low for a listen. Thanks again!

Thanks, this Kamaka is a great example from this great brand. I also have a Custom Shop Martin 3K tenor that I play with Martin strings and a low G and it's one of my favs.

Default New Strings

Quote Originally Posted by efiscella View Post
    For the same reasons as you, I wanted a Kamaka tenor to go with my Martins, and KoAlohas. I just got a Kamaka HF-3 last week and when I got it out of the box and played it, I was not a fan. I decided to change the strings to a new set of custom strings that I have just recently learned about and have become a huge fan. I changed the strings out and I can't put this Kamaka down. The tonal quality is incredible. Each note is so clear. I play with low-G and I find that with this string combination, the Low-G does not dominate but provides exception balance and fills the sound out more. These are Savarez Alliance KF Alliance (Carbon) Single Strings | Classical Guitar Strings. (KF 60A - ist, KF 71 - 2nd, KF 81A - 3rd, KF 62A - 4th). I purchased a Martin Tenor here on UU and the seller put on this new set of strings. I already had a Martin Tenor so I could easily compare the two. This Savarez set wins hands down, for me, and it helped to make my new Kamaka a joy to play. Congrats on the new purchase. I was hoping to pick that one up but needed to sell my Martin first. My delay was your win-- it is a beautiful ukulele.
    Well I got a set of the Savarez as you specified except they didn't have an "A" after the numbers? Did I get the wrong ones? These have a High G. Obviously I can't play it very long without retuning but I like the feel and I think the sound is gonna be good. Stay tuned...

I have Aquila New Nylguts on my white label six string and I am very pleased with them.

Thread Information