new PHD product

tonyturley

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of low GCEA strings for my 50s era Harmony baritone from Lucy's Ukulele via Reverb. Their listing and others I've found say this is a new product: https://reverb.com/item/19395545-ne...s-baritone-gcea-low-g-daniel-ho-jason-arimoto

I like the Harmony, but I've felt like it sounds like almost every other baritone I've seen on YouTube. I did see a video where a guy had his baritone tuned GCEA, and I liked the sound, so I thought I'd try these strings. I didn't see anything else about them when I searched UU.

You might also try reentrant (high D) DGBE strings for a different baritone sound.
PHD strings has those too.

Tony, after you've put them on, please post a sound sample. I'm curious about these strings, having seen several references to them here on UU.

Tony, after you've put them on, please post a sound sample. I'm curious about these strings, having seen several references to them here on UU.

PhD strings are really nice. Don't know which I like more, PhD or Living Waters.

If they're optimized by Jason Arimoto, they must have some blues in 'em!

The strings came in today . . . that's pretty fast service from Lucy's. Although the strings are still settling a lot, I liked the tone immediately. They seem to drive the Harmony's Mahogany top much better than the previous GHS strings I had on it. Those strings sounded fine, but they didn't seem to have much "presence", if that makes sense.

The only thing that concerned me was the strings seemed to increase in tension a lot as I went up (I always restring from 4 to 1, or 6 to 1 for a guitar). The A string was really tight by the time I got it up to tune, and I was proceeding very slowly in an effort to keep from snapping it. After letting it sit for a couple of hours and retuning, the A string didn't seem as tight. I played through a couple of songs - although it was a bit cumbersome with a band-aid on my fretting index finger. I had an, ummm, shop ooops while working on my guitar project this evening. Nothing involving power tools, but the uke may have been jinxing me. I'll let these strings settle for a few days and try to post a sound sample.

I just put at set of low G’s on my lowly Kala KA-TE, and I was truly stunned by the heavenly sound. Enough for me to put off my desire for an upgrade, at least for a while.

They replaced a set I’d D’Addario fluorocarbons which sounded terribly dull to me. I have been working on harmonics and thought I’d never get them to sound good, let alone reasonable. With the PHD’s they ring out without much effort.

I can also attest to Lucy’s fast service! I have gotten a few sets of Freemonts (my normal goto stings, the D’Addarios were a one off purchase from a local music store) from her in the past, always with fast service.

Top Bottom