Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would be more fun?

I play both Banjo/uke and standard wooden ukuleles. I find each has a voice of its own,and select which instrument to play, depending on the song/tune.
    A lot of old rock stuff works surprisingly well on BU as does a lot of country stuff; then on a standard uke, I play a variety of songs, and to complicate matters, a lot of bluesy stuff works great on my resonator uke (which is another beast altogether!)
    Whatever you are happy with and which sounds good to YOU is exactly what you need.Experiment. Find what you like and go with it!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

A little late to the party, as usual, but here is my two cents. Many have talked about the type of music you want to play and where. So think about that. Second, think about scale size. You mentioned concert scale....have you tried a tenor scale Uke. I ask because I have a concert scale banjo-Uke. It is a Little Gem...I also have a full size banjo. What I have noticed is the cramping of my fingers trying to hit a chord formation....this is due to needing more practice...but you get comfortable with the full size fret spacing of a full sized neck on the banjo. My advice is try various scaled ukes...think about what music you wish to play and where...then get what meets those needs.

As an aside, I have to admit I am looking for a tenor Uke to add to my instrument collection...that said, my Little Gem by Gold Tone is a lot easier to carry around than my Deering banjo and I find myself picking it up most of the time.

If you are unsure....rent one of each until you have a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Halb View Post
    I am a complete novice, but would love to learn to play a uke. I have researched both concert ukeís and banjo ukeís. What would be more fun to buy? I would enjoy reading some opinions.

Thanks!
    Hal
    This is just me personally. If I wanted to learn the ukulele it would be either soprano, concert or tenor. If I wanted to learn the banjo then I would get an actual banjo.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of banjo ukes. They are interesting to play around with, but I'd much rather have my concert to play more seriously with. A lot of people like the banjos for some of the reason mentioned above, but they aren't for everyone. I'd suggest you go and play a few at your local music shop. See what you think about each before you make the investment.

For what itís worth, as mentioned, banjo uses are loud, they were designed to be heard. Modern banjo uses are tubby, lack good tone and resonate over much. It is difficult to play quietly.
    A banjo uke played badly sounds horrendous.
    A good quality banjo uke will set you back £500+.

Start out with a reasonable quality concert scale uke, is my regular advice, a Kala or Ohana, maybe Baton Rouge, all good ukes in the lower price ranges for a beginner to get to grips with, you may want to change the strings after a little while, which is a fairly cheap upgrade.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I have both. They are both fun to play. I have many of each. They are all fun to play.

Although when I gig there are certain songs that I prefer to play on a banjo uke, I will play anything, on either one.

...and no one has complained yet.

Saying "if you want the banjo sound, get a banjo" is exactly like saying "if you want that smooth, velvety sound, get a classical guitar instead of a uke."

Try them both. I have over 20 instruments, and they all sound, feel, and play differently. And I have no plans to get rid of any of them.

Years back, I went to Magic Fluke in Sheffield, MA. In the 4 hours I was there, I played every uke they had in stock, and both of the prototype Firefly banjo ukes. I bought a tenor that was a 2nd, and ordered a Firefly (they weren't shipping them yet).

Make up your own mind, don't take anyone else's word as to what you have to do.
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Most fun? Gold Tone Little Gem banjo uke with blinking LEDs.

I've no idea how it sounds, but: blinky lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Most fun? Gold Tone Little Gem banjo uke with blinking LEDs.

I've no idea how it sounds, but: blinky lights!
    I can attest that it sounds really nice as well, like a proper banjo uke. In my opinion, the quality and finish is really good for the $150 or so price point. If you're going for your first entry level banjo uke I'd definitely recommend the Little Gem if you can get over the fact that the body is made from plastic. I've seen a few similarly priced and even a bit more expensive banjo ukes that simply don't sound as good or lack the finish of the Little Gem.

Regarding the original question, I would still go for a regular ukulele if you're on the fence about which one to get. Unless you already know you're going to be playing music that's more suited to a banjo sound, I'd say a ukulele will offer a better range of musical styles for playing.

Thread Information