F# vs Gb

Just to put a nail in this coffin, I thought I would let everyone know that I am going with F# because it is just more natural to me. When I practice chromatic scales and I get to the second fret of the E string, that note to me is F#. The key of F# does have a few drawbacks--namely, having A# for its third and E# for its seventh degree. However, I will cope.

And just for everyone's edification, the musical reason that I care about F# is that I have been obsessed with playing all 19 frets with barre chords. To practice that I've been playing progressions like I - IV -V - V of the V (for modulation) and moving around the circle of fifths to hit all the keys. I've been playing with different chord qualities such as add9 or 7sus4 or m7b5. So when I get to that liminal borderland between the turf of the sharps and the demesne of the flats, I need to know am I about to play F# - B - C# or Gb - Cb -Db.

Hmmm. I understand the reason for your wife's lack of interest. When she agreed to "for better or for worse" did she know about your predilection for abstruse musicality?

John Colter

Top Bottom