Sales Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryc41

Reaction score
No that the greedy politicians have forced any store selling anything to collect sales tax for all states that have sales tax during online sales, I hope we see that money put to good use. NY will be receiving hundreds of millions of dollars from stores in other states. Where will that money go?

I can see this law slowing down online sales. In my case, I have to add 8% to the price of everything I buy online. Yes, I know we're required to pay that sales tax when we file out state taxes, but that's a different story.

Here in California, we have to pay our local sales tax rate, not the state’s.

So for all my purchases, I get to add 8.5%...at least I’m not in SF anymore where it was closer to 9%!

20% in the UK :D

From what I understand, laws already existed about paying sales tax on online purchases. There were some stipulations that were attached to which purchases were applicable. Regardless, in many cases the onus was put on the consumer to pay based on the honor system. It is pretty obvious that few if any consumers made declarations to pay the required sales tax, if the seller did not add it.

In some ways, I guess those who didn’t pay those taxes in the past, got some benefit from gaming the system. Not that I am happy about the extra cost, but I’m not sure a thread about it won’t just regress into a complaining session.

John

Last edited:
But doesn't that just apply to when the item is available locally?

Nope! If you buy it, you pay tax. I'm sure there is some kind of limitation. I can't imagine someone in Iowa having to collect sales tax for NY on a $1.00 purchase. Technically, everyone pays their state the sales tax they owe from out-of-state purchases, so we have no right to complain. We've been paying that tax voluntarily every year when we file out state taxes. It's a Catch-22. If you complain to your local politicians, they'll say, "What? You haven't been sending the state sales tax on out-of state purchases?"

You Americans are spoiled.

Pitifully small sales Tax.

Goods that are way way cheaper than anywhere else in the World to start off with.

Your Presidents do not like something then they slap a tariff on the imports.

Yep its the American way.

On recent orders from Amazon and B&H, I paid 9.5% tax, I'm in Los Angeles.

Adorama has not started charging tax so I just bought a complete Mac Mini system and saved about $300; Mac Mini i7 6 core 3.2MHz, 10Gb ethernet (8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD), Crucial 32 GB RAM, two external NVMe 4 slot enclosures, eight 1TB NVMe SSD drives (RAID-0 FOR 8TB of ultra fast storage), 8 TB backup drive, USB 3 hub, monitor cables (I have 2 Dell 19" rotating screens), high capacity UPS battery, HD webcam, all for about $3200.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

You Americans are spoiled.

Pitifully small sales Tax.

Goods that are way way cheaper than anywhere else in the World to start off with.

Your Presidents do not like something then they slap a tariff on the imports.

Yep its the American way.

Please don’t lump us all in with Comrade Cheeto. I think many of us would love to have a simpler tax system that also helps to benefit the citizens by paying for social services. The problem is private interests have scared many of us into thinking the government just wants to rob us, and thus see any increase in taxation as a direct assault on our freedom (it really isn’t, as evidenced by a plethora of other countries).

As for the tariffs, that again is all President Drumpf.

Last edited:
In Denmark there is a VAT of 25% on all sales.

If I import something from outside EU, the customs service will hold it back untill I pay danish taxes, plus some small tariffs that are usually low in comparison.

But if I order from Germany, where I believe taxes are 19%, I dont really know if the shop is supposed to add danish or German tax rates. I believe that most shops I have ordered stuff from just add their own local tax.
That gives online stores in some countries an edge over others. I would say that it would be easier if taxes were the same.

From what I understand, laws already existed about paying sales tax on online purchases. There were some stipulations that were attached to which purchases were applicable. Regardless, in many cases the onus was put on the consumer to pay based on the honor system.

John

Yes, that's the Catch-22. When we file our state taxes in NY, we're supposed to pay sales tax on all of our out-of-state purchases. if we complain to a politician about the new law, he'll say, "What?! You haven't been paying sales tax on your out-of-state purchases."

I paid over $100 in sales tax on a uke I ordered yesterday. That's $100 added to the price for absolutely nothing.

As for other countries paying higher taxes, they have health care and other services we don't have. We have premiums, co-pays, and deductibles. Our politicians hate what they have labeled "entitlements."

Last edited:
I paid over $100 in sales tax on a uke I ordered yesterday. That's $100 added to the price for absolutely nothing.

... howsabout the maintenance and repair of the airports, roads and bridges used to deliver the uke to you?
State taxation of online sales is all the more important as more and more brick and mortar stores are driven out of business by online competitors, some of which, apparently, pay no taxes at all.

... howsabout the maintenance and repair of the airports, roads and bridges used to deliver the uke to you?

Very good point. Maintenance? Really? Roads are full of potholes, and bridges are unsafe. The Throgs Neck Bridge in NY collects close to a million dollars a day in tolls. I paid over $200 in tolls last year. Politicians collect and waste money.

Yes, that's the Catch-22. When we file our state taxes in NY, we're supposed to pay sales tax on all of our out-of-state purchases. if we complain to a politician about the new law, he'll say, "What?! You haven't been paying sales tax on your out-of-state purchases."

As for other countries paying higher taxes, they have health care and other services we don't have. We have premiums, co-pays, and deductibles. Our politicians hate what they have labeled "entitlements."

We do have roads, some entitlements for the poor, including health, dental and eye care, parks, transportation, water, schools, police, fire dept., etc., which sales taxes help pay for. Of course there is bureaucratic waste, but sales taxes, as much as none of us like to pay them, do pay for a lot.

We pay taxes. Some is well spent. Some is wasted.

The issue relating to ukuleles is whether to patronize a local shop and pay about 9% more, or order it online without taxes and maybe a setup. The cost difference can be substantial.

We pay taxes. Some is well spent. Some is wasted.

The issue relating to ukuleles is whether to patronize a local shop and pay about 9% more, or order it online without taxes and maybe a setup. The cost difference can be substantial.

If I had any local shops, I'd consider them, even with a slightly higher price. When I ordered a uke from Magic Fluke, I thought I'd go there and pick it up. I would save shipping, but I would pay sales tax - as well as tolls and gas.

In Denmark there is a VAT of 25% on all sales.

If I import something from outside EU, the customs service will hold it back untill I pay danish taxes, plus some small tariffs that are usually low in comparison.

But if I order from Germany, where I believe taxes are 19%, I dont really know if the shop is supposed to add danish or German tax rates. I believe that most shops I have ordered stuff from just add their own local tax.
That gives online stores in some countries an edge over others. I would say that it would be easier if taxes were the same.

As I understand it, in the EU you pay VAT at the rate for the country you buy the item from. I buy harmonicas and parts from Seydel in Germany and pay the German 19% rather than the UK 20% - until our idiotic government takes is out and then who knows what will happen. When I've bought from the USA, UK customs have charged 20% VAT so that will likely happen with my harmonica spares.

Well............no sales tax here in Oregon. Now property tax and income tax-well that's a whole different matter-just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom