Season 390 - Facing the Music

Turtledrum did a dreamy version of this dreamy song earlier in this season. I could not resist the beauty of the song and the way it lays down so nicely (in the original key of C) on the ukulele. So here is another version to enjoy.

Tightrope from A New World Record. I love this song. Wish I could do it justice, but after our new dog took off through the open garage door and had a romp through the neighborhood I figured I needed a break and took the time to have some fun and bang this out.

it's a livin' thing!

here's a collaboration with Mezcalero who took on the challenge to aim higher and higher, baby! Hope you all enjoy - I believe Kev had a few late nights working on this one. As usual, I did a bit of singing and he did all the hard work :)

Thanks everyone! This has been more fun than I imagined! Another day or so to go. All caught up for now. Thanks for not bringing me down at all!

As an eight-year-old boy, I loved roller skating, disco music, break dancing, and Greek Mythology. So the the film Xanadu was pretty much the perfect film for me at the time. (It might not have received great acclaim from grown-ups back then.)

Jeff Lynne and ELO collaborated with Olivia Newton-John to produce the (still pretty great-sounding) soundtrack.

Thanks again for hosting a great week Tom! Cutting it close with this one, but I just finished this colaboration with fellow Seasonista Mikkel (Uking Viking) Thanks for the invite and the opportunity to work with you Mikkel ~

Ok! It is past midnight in Hawaii! Thanks everyone for a great season!I enjoyed hosting very much. I’ll be working on my wrap up the next couple of days.

Now go have fun, in 391!

:)

Thanks so much Tom - great hosting debut and a great theme! Almost as good as Yazoo week! ;)

Thanks for hosting Tom! I knew Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty were friends and worked together in the Traveling Wilburys but I did not know he had co-written so many of my favorite Tom Petty Songs. Here is one of them ~

I recently started to learn this song but it sounds a bit different from what I'm hearing in the video. Could I ask what chords you are using?

I recently started to learn this song but it sounds a bit different from what I'm hearing in the video. Could I ask what chords you are using?

Yes sir, On baritone, I'm playing D then adding my pinky on fret 3 of the E string, then taking it off and going to A. I am not using a capo as Tom Petty does. So I'm actually playing it in D. Some charts show it going From D to G to D to A. By adding the pinky i'm hitting the G, kind of :)

Yes sir, On baritone, I'm playing D then adding my pinky on fret 3 of the E string, then taking it off and going to A. I am not using a capo as Tom Petty does. So I'm actually playing it in D. Some charts show it going From D to G to D to A. By adding the pinky i'm hitting the G, kind of :)

When you add your pinky to third fret, your actually playing a Dsus4 chord. Sus2 & sus4 chords are useful for adding colour to an accompaniment.

Thank you! I had been playing D/G/D/A but D/G/Dsus4/A works well too. I played it both ways back to back trying to decide which sounds better. The Dsus4 adds kind of a wistful element which I like and the G adds a higher end I like. I think I'll play around with it and maybe use both!

I can't do this song much justice because I can't leap an octave when singing the chorus which adds a lot more dynamic and interest. Petty seemed to do it effortlessly but he apparently had a 4 octave range according to a book I just read. Singing the chorus in the same octave makes it kind of dull.

Last edited:
Top Bottom