Season 390 - Facing the Music

Season 390. Submission 1. "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" (written by Jeff Lynne and recorded by ELO, 1974)

Thanks so very much for hosting this week, Tom! I hope that your first hosting experience is terrific and I so appreciate your stepping in for me.

This is a special submission for me; it marks the 200th Season since I first joined and the 200th Season in a row that I've submitted. Honestly, I can't believe it. And as everyone says, the first submission was the hardest. :)

I do not know Jeff Lynne and ELO's music as much as I'd like, so I'm anxious to hear what everybody brings this week. This song is brand new for me.

Tenor ukulele here.

Season 390. Submission 1. "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" (written by Jeff Lynne and recorded by ELO, 1974)

Thanks so very much for hosting this week, Tom! I hope that your first hosting experience is terrific and I so appreciate your stepping in for me.

This is a special submission for me; it marks the 200th Season since I first joined and the 200th Season in a row that I've submitted. Honestly, I can't believe it. And as everyone says, the first submission was the hardest. :)

I do not know Jeff Lynne and ELO's music as much as I'd like, so I'm anxious to hear what everybody brings this week. This song is brand new for me.

Tenor ukulele here.

Congratulations on the milestone!

Yes, I am having a great time so far. A lovely cover Linda! It did not come across as new to you at all! ��

The ELO album ‘Discovery’ was released in 1979, the year I turned 13. It wasn’t considered at all ‘cool’ at that age to like the music that your Dad was into but that didn’t stop me listening to it over and over again - I just didn’t tell anyone at school!

So many good songs on that album, and this was and is one of my favourites. I don’t think it was ever released as a single, but maybe it should have been? :)

Ok,

415 miles later back home again.

Playlist should be caught up as of midnight Eastern Daylight savings time in the US.

Will get back to commenting tomorrow. Thanks for all the great entries so far!

Here’s a real insight into the man behind this week’s music. His talent and his humility shine through in this interview:

Hello, Tom! I love The Traveling Wilburys ... this track is from their Vol.1 album. On the album, Bob Dylan took the lead vocals for this one ... needless to say, I sound absolutely NOTHING like Dylan!

Jeff Lynne also co-wrote and produced Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" record, and they came up with some great songs. (It's also where i pulled last season's entry ...)

This is one, IMHO, even if the performance ain't up to their standards. Johnny Cash also did a moving version in his final years.

This is one which I loved when it came out (1977), and still do. Maybe it was the unusual structure which made it stand out, and it took some trial and error to uke-ify it. But here goes...

It's awesome to see a Season focused on the music of Jeff Lynne -- I was a big ELO fan growing up, too! Eric and Cave, I SO wish that I lived in Seattle still so that I could meet up with you guys!!! Your cover ROCKED!!! Where are your roller skates?!!! :-D :-D :-D (Reference to the movie 'Xanadu' -- one of my favorite movies as a kid as I was a massive ONJ fan, AND I was SO into roller skating!!!) The 'Xanadu' song you chose to do also has a special place in my heart re: the SOTU as I actually covered this same song for my very first participation in the Seasons -- ahhh, like in 2012 I think -- and it was pabrizzer's Season to sing a song about a place -- and I picked 'Xanadu' -- "a place where nobody dared to go!" :-D :-D :-D Again, I absolutely LOVED what you guys did with this cover!!!! Wooooooot woooooot! <3

In Seattle with the Cave man...

Thanks for hosting Tom! I knew Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty were friends and worked together in the Traveling Wilburys but I did not know he had co-written so many of my favorite Tom Petty Songs. Here is one of them ~

Congratulations on the milestone!

Yes, I am having a great time so far. A lovely cover Linda! It did not come across as new to you at all! ��

Thanks so much, Tom, for your congrats. The Seasons means so many different things to all of us. I feel very lucky to have been a part of things here and am very grateful for the friendships and all I've learned about music along the way. And this week is making me an avid Jeff Lynne/ELO fan, for sure! :)

This one's not ready for prime time, but today is the only time I have this week to record it, so it'll have to do. As I do take after take, the playing gets a little better, but the vocals get worse.

By the way, a few years ago I was Googling something about ELO, and I happened on the info that the weird two-measure instrumental break in "Evil Woman" is the string section from "Nightrider" played backwards and run through a flanger. And now you know, too.

I don't know if this will work..

I'm usually adverse to repeating something someone's already done, particularly one as well done as Kevin Griffin's up there... Wow. His was great!

Me, the power was out last night for a long period, I had no computer battery left, so I did it live on Facebook.

Top Bottom