Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Season 390 - Facing the Music

Ok! It is past midnight in Hawaii! Thanks everyone for a great season!I enjoyed hosting very much. I’ll be working on my wrap up the next couple of days.

Now go have fun, in 391!

Thanks so much, Tom ... you've been a great host! (And I have learnt a lot about Jeff Lynne.)
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

thank you for a great week! super hosting!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Thanks Tom, there were some amazing contributions for this season.

Thanks so much Tom - great hosting debut and a great theme! Almost as good as Yazoo week!
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzx...Pezq1Qh7YLL5Ew

My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...21bONWOlsIWLZc

My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...phaZNPwJIIfBHm

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    Thanks for hosting Tom! I knew Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty were friends and worked together in the Traveling Wilburys but I did not know he had co-written so many of my favorite Tom Petty Songs. Here is one of them ~

I recently started to learn this song but it sounds a bit different from what I'm hearing in the video. Could I ask what chords you are using?
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by DelGriff View Post
    Almost as good as Yazoo week!
    high praise indeed!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I recently started to learn this song but it sounds a bit different from what I'm hearing in the video. Could I ask what chords you are using?
    Yes sir, On baritone, I'm playing D then adding my pinky on fret 3 of the E string, then taking it off and going to A. I am not using a capo as Tom Petty does. So I'm actually playing it in D. Some charts show it going From D to G to D to A. By adding the pinky i'm hitting the G, kind of

Yes sir, On baritone, I'm playing D then adding my pinky on fret 3 of the E string, then taking it off and going to A. I am not using a capo as Tom Petty does. So I'm actually playing it in D. Some charts show it going From D to G to D to A. By adding the pinky i'm hitting the G, kind of
    When you add your pinky to third fret, your actually playing a Dsus4 chord. Sus2 & sus4 chords are useful for adding colour to an accompaniment.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thank you! I had been playing D/G/D/A but D/G/Dsus4/A works well too. I played it both ways back to back trying to decide which sounds better. The Dsus4 adds kind of a wistful element which I like and the G adds a higher end I like. I think I'll play around with it and maybe use both!

I can't do this song much justice because I can't leap an octave when singing the chorus which adds a lot more dynamic and interest. Petty seemed to do it effortlessly but he apparently had a 4 octave range according to a book I just read. Singing the chorus in the same octave makes it kind of dull.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 08-13-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Thread Information