Season 390 - Facing the Music

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
... of Jeff Lynne.

This week in the Seasons we will be exploring the music of Jeff Lynne.

ELO were my favorite band growing up. When I got to my college years, I stopped following them. “Time” was the last album I really listened to extensively. I joined the Army the year Jeff Lynne left the band.

In recent years I have reconnected with the music of ELO, and have learned about some of the rest of Jeff’s career.

There are several ways to participate this week.

1. Cover any ELO song
2. Cover any Traveling Wilburys song from their debut album, or Traveling Wilburys III. ( nothing from volume II please! )
3. Cover any song where Jeff Lynne was a co writer. See Tom Petty especially for this option.
Here is a link to Jeff Lynne’s Wikipedia page, where you can find plenty of info.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lynne

4. Bring an original song that relates to one of ELO’s album titles below. Your song title should share some words with one of the album titles, or have a theme that is inspired by the album title you choose. Recording a song you have already written that fits is perfectly fine!
5. Bring an instrumental! Strings and orchestral flavor were a big part of the ELO sound. Louis Clark arranged much of the strings for ELO, but also was involved with the “Hooked on Classics” albums. They consisted of various bits of classical music mashed up to a rock or disco beat. Below is a link to the listing for the first album. There should be something there for our instrumental seasonistas! Even just a short little instrumental will be welcomed, and add to the Season!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooked_on_Classics

You can pull from the other 2 Hooked on Classics if you like also.

Typical guidelines.

New videos for this week.
Multi tracking is fine.
Uke somewhere in the mix.
I will allow Guitaleles with scale length 20” or less.
If you have a 5 string Rajao please bring something with that! Ancestor to the Uke after all. :)

No song limit. I will add all to the playlist, but may limit my comments to your first three vids if I fall behind.

There will be a prize, chosen by random draw of all participants. One entry per, regardless of how many or few videos posted. The prize will be some digital music related to the theme, agreed upon by the winner and myself.

After the intro vid, the next video on the playlist will be a short interview of Jeff Lynne, with some footage of him and George Harrison playing Banjoleles. Ignore the video title! It says Banjos!

Hope you all have fun! I have learned a lot already.

Usual start and stop times. Start time midnight in Hawaii August 4, ending midnight Monday August 12.

Please continue supporting season 389 hosted by YorkSteve!

Thanks for joining in!

Tom

Playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4xCnYNFt7mEjENrHvX7p8l1b4cAraVqO

ELO Albums

The Electric Light Orchestra
( Released as “No Answer” in the US)

ELO II

On The Third Day

Eldorado

Face The Music

A New World Record

Out of the Blue

Discovery

Time

Secret Messages

Balance of Power

Zoom

Alone in the Universe

Great idea, Tom, and plenty of choice ... I hope! (I love ELO but I had a go at "Mr. Blue Sky" a while ago and it almost finished me off!) And thanks so much for posting early ... a big help for us in Europe.

Great idea, Tom, and plenty of choice ... I hope! (I love ELO but I had a go at "Mr. Blue Sky" a while ago and it almost finished me off!) And thanks so much for posting early ... a big help for us in Europe.

Yes, the chords for Mr Blue Sky are tough!

One of his solo albums was called “The Long Wave” it was all covers. Included was this.

https://youtu.be/M9WvPr1pND0

Also when doing covers, it is fine to alter things, simplify chords, or just do a bit of the song.

If only I had thought it through... I should have posted at 9:29, not 9:39...

Last train to London reference.

:)

Great theme! I'm a big fan of Jeff Lynne and all of his projects!

I'll see if I can get something done before I head off on vacation, but it won't be as good as when I did "10538 Overture" in January.

There's an obscure recent one-man band who records under the name Big Black Delta, and he's done some songs that remind me a LOT of ELO.
Here's a couple of my favorite songs:
Big Black Delta - Money Rain Down
Big Black Delta - Kid Icarus

Thanks for hosting, Tom. Hope you have as much fun as I am still doing with Season 389. But before I go and catch up with the overnight additions there, here's a little something from Jeff Lynne's wonderful songbook.

Good on ya Tom.Lots of scope here.I knew of Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty's Wilbury connection but I didn't know about the co-writing of some of Tom Petty's great tunes.Here's one.Amplified baritone here.

Thanks for the great start! First vids are added to the playlist. Going to be on the road a lot today, so I will catch up here and there.

ELO, alone in the universe

ok, just saw a dalek :rock: further up in the thread! heading straight there now!

Top Bottom