Season 390 - Facing the Music

Thank you! I had been playing D/G/D/A but D/G/Dsus4/A works well too. I played it both ways back to back trying to decide which sounds better. The Dsus4 adds kind of a wistful element which I like and the G adds a higher end I like. I think I'll play around with it and maybe use both!

I can't do this song much justice because I can't leap an octave when singing the chorus which adds a lot more dynamic and interest. Petty seemed to do it effortlessly but he apparently had a 4 octave range according to a book I just read. Singing the chorus in the same octave makes it kind of dull.

Yeah, that's why I didn't use a capo like Petty did. I even considered tuning a baritone down a step, but then the low parts start getting too low. It's a deceptively hard song to sing, even in the verse parts because each line has noticeably different number of syllables to fit in. It's a great song though :)

Wrap up

Greetings everyone!

I apologize for being tardy with the wrap.

Alas, various duties, circumstances, and minor trials have waylaid me this week. I am not able to provide a wrap video.

So then, here are my thoughts in written form.

Thanks to all for participating! I really enjoyed hosting, and was blessed by every song posted.

A special thanks to pabrizzer for coordinating the hosts. Also to Turtledrum for her encouragement as I was getting ready. And to Del in that regard also.

The winner of the drawing is Uke Nation! If you would pm me we can discuss what digital music related to our theme you would like.

We ended up with 43 entries by 28 seasonistas. We had songs from the first and most recent albums by ELO, some from each of Jeff Lynne’s solo albums, several from The Traveling Wilburys, from Tom Petty, and one Written by Jeff Lynne and released by Agnetha Faltskog.

There were a few nice instrumentals, and some wonderful originals also.

A few special mentions.

Limosin Lil for her unfailing enthusiasm, and her great efforts to comment on other’s videos with kind and encouraging words. I know several others have made good efforts in that respect also. Thanks for that!

Erivel, for their enthusiastic covers, especially “Turn to Stone”. Brilliant!

Christopher Fonda, for his great vocals, energy and varied performances. See his version of “Don’t Bring Me Down”. Fabulous!

The Mess Inside, for his two wonderful original songs. Great writing, and powerfully performed. Very moving songs!

Kevin and Del for their radio ready collaboration of “Don’t Bring Me Down”. Lots of wonderful collabs this week, but this was just a notch above. Thanks guys!

Finally, I want to mention Jim Avery and his cover of “The Diary Of Horace Wimp” This performance touched me and moved me just a bit more than any other this week. The gentle strumming, along with the delicate sweet vocals fit the song very well, and his performance just brought some happy tears to my eyes. A brilliant and wonderful performance Jim! Thanks for sharing it!

Again, thank you all for participating! I am blessed to be a little part of this community!

💛😀

Here is Jim’s video from Season 390

The most fun I’ve had in the seasons for some time. Thanks for hosting Tom!

Thanks again Tom - a brilliant and inspiring hosting debut from you. I hope there’ll be many more! :)

And my thanks also to Kevin and Lynda for collaborating with me this week - it was so much fun! :)

Thanks so much for the week Tom.
It is terrific having seasonistas making their hosting debuts.
We have more first time hosts coming up in the weeks to come.
Hosting is what keeps this place going....

Thanks Tom, yes Horace Wimp is one of those songs that tells a touching story and I really enjoyed performing it; I'm so glad you found that connection with it.

Really a wonderful season Tom! Thanks for your mention and thanks for a fine job and a great theme ~

thank you Tom for hosting a super week of music. you did a brilliant job hosting.

Greetings everyone!

I apologize for being tardy with the wrap.

Alas, various duties, circumstances, and minor trials have waylaid me this week. I am not able to provide a wrap video.

So then, here are my thoughts in written form.

Thanks to all for participating! I really enjoyed hosting, and was blessed by every song posted.

A special thanks to pabrizzer for coordinating the hosts. Also to Turtledrum for her encouragement as I was getting ready. And to Del in that regard also.

The winner of the drawing is Uke Nation! If you would pm me we can discuss what digital music related to our theme you would like.

We ended up with 43 entries by 28 seasonistas. We had songs from the first and most recent albums by ELO, some from each of Jeff Lynne’s solo albums, several from The Traveling Wilburys, from Tom Petty, and one Written by Jeff Lynne and released by Agnetha Faltskog.

There were a few nice instrumentals, and some wonderful originals also.

A few special mentions.

Limosin Lil for her unfailing enthusiasm, and her great efforts to comment on other’s videos with kind and encouraging words. I know several others have made good efforts in that respect also. Thanks for that!

Erivel, for their enthusiastic covers, especially “Turn to Stone”. Brilliant!

Christopher Fonda, for his great vocals, energy and varied performances. See his version of “Don’t Bring Me Down”. Fabulous!

The Mess Inside, for his two wonderful original songs. Great writing, and powerfully performed. Very moving songs!

Kevin and Del for their radio ready collaboration of “Don’t Bring Me Down”. Lots of wonderful collabs this week, but this was just a notch above. Thanks guys!

Finally, I want to mention Jim Avery and his cover of “The Diary Of Horace Wimp” This performance touched me and moved me just a bit more than any other this week. The gentle strumming, along with the delicate sweet vocals fit the song very well, and his performance just brought some happy tears to my eyes. A brilliant and wonderful performance Jim! Thanks for sharing it!

Again, thank you all for participating! I am blessed to be a little part of this community!

💛😀

Here is Jim’s video from Season 390

Wow, I'm a winner! Thanks so much Tom, great Season! I got my single song in just before leaving for vacation, then lost my phone at the airport, just prior to boarding...arrrggghhh! It was found, but I had no phone for 5 days.

Sorry to hear about that John! Glad you found your phone eventually! Glad you got in an entry! It was a very nice performance, and got you into the drawing. Hope you enjoy your prize!

Top Bottom