Aklot or kala concert uke

tanyatuxedo

Reaction score
Looking at buying a KALA KA-CEMB or AKLOT as my first concert ukulele. Currently, the KALA is $119 on Amazon and the AKLOT is $59.99. Is the KALA a much better quality uke? Appreciate your input/advice.

Last edited:
Add the Enya X1M to your potential list.

I liked the Aklot I was given to review; we later bought 2 more to give away. Mine is currently with my niece.

I just bought a Kala SSLNG here on UU—and have been quite blown away by it. Someone else just said (on another thread) that they thought Kalas were okay, just not go to a store and have to buy one great. This SSLNG is in another world for me...and others have said so for a long time. They were right. I was just being stubborn.

Kala, you know what you get with them.

I still have & use my Kala KA-T, KA-CEME & my KA-SLNG as practice ukes, even after reaching the heights of owning a KoAloha Opio. :)

Kala are consistently good ukes, I have found - I have no experience of AKLOT ukes.

Please don't order a uke from Amazon unless you (or somebody you know) can do a proper setup. The cheaper the uke, the more important it is to buy from a vendor who checks each and every uke, sends back the ones that are poorly built (factories are inconsistent) and tweaks the action so your uke plays in tune and is comfortable to play.

There are lots of threads here on UU about vendors who do good setups. Off the top of my head I can name Mim's Ukes, Uke Republic, Hawaii Music Supply and Elderly Instruments. They will not sell you a piece of junk.

Amazon sold me junk earlier this year. The price was $60 and I figured what could go wrong with a plastic uke? Well, I received a mint-condition shipping box and a uke with a broken bridge, shattered into tiny shards of cheap brittle plastic. I sent it back (Amazon gave me a refund, no complaints there) and I chalked it up as a reminder that conventional advice -- buy from vendors who do setup, you get what you pay for -- is generally correct.

A $120 uke that you enjoy playing is a far, far better bargain than a $60 uke that's unplayable.

Please don't order a uke from Amazon unless you (or somebody you know) can do a proper setup. The cheaper the uke, the more important it is to buy from a vendor who checks each and every uke, sends back the ones that are poorly built (factories are inconsistent) and tweaks the action so your uke plays in tune and is comfortable to play.

There are lots of threads here on UU about vendors who do good setups. Off the top of my head I can name Mim's Ukes, Uke Republic, Hawaii Music Supply and Elderly Instruments. They will not sell you a piece of junk.

Amazon sold me junk earlier this year. The price was $60 and I figured what could go wrong with a plastic uke? Well, I received a mint-condition shipping box and a uke with a broken bridge, shattered into tiny shards of cheap brittle plastic. I sent it back (Amazon gave me a refund, no complaints there) and I chalked it up as a reminder that conventional advice -- buy from vendors who do setup, you get what you pay for -- is generally correct.

A $120 uke that you enjoy playing is a far, far better bargain than a $60 uke that's unplayable.

Amen. See MIM at MIMsUKES.com I bet she has what you want. Or HMS or Uke Republic. Don't get ripped off.

Top Bottom