Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Kala Ukes

Kala is the by far the largest producer of ukes and every uke store I have visited has a Kala section if not a Kala wall. They have a huge range of models for every budget, so the biggest advantage is that you can actually compare many ukes and have a chance to find one that you really like in a store instead of relying on online ordering. That said, the only Kalas I was really impressed with were the California built Koa Elite models and they were in the price range of the Hawaiian Koa ukes in the store, which I prefer. For the their regular models, the ones that I tried in stores were just "fine" not better or worse than those of other brands like Ohana in the same price range. Cheap/moderately priced ukes all seem to be fairly generic and buying one is more a matter of personal fit/like than of brand distinction.

We have a kala KA-ACP-CTG, their cedar top acacia concert which started us on the Ukulele journey, a travel Soprano - KA-SSTU-S and a 5 string KA-ATP5-CTG which is a cedar top acacia. We enjoy them. For me I recognize their economy Ukuleles that are fun to play. However, as such they all became my grandson's instruments. :-)

As for the controversy about Kala, I can suggest listening to Andrew of HMS discuss positive aspects of Kala from a business standpoint and willingness to listen as a positive thing. https://youtu.be/2r355KnmLU4 At around 48:00 Andrew discusses his communication with Kala. To me communication and willingness to do so is a positive thing.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Kala found a niche and filled it. From there they have grown to fill most of the entry to beginner/intermediate instrument market niches. They now have a lot of competition.

The Elites are a vanity project that will also lift the lower-quality image that Kala has. It does a very good job and has, I believe, brought the quality levels of inexpensive ukes up to the point where they are of reasonably good quality.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information