Unexpected ukulele performances

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Have you gone to any shows, and had a ukulele unexpectedly pop up on stage?

I was on Martha's Vineyard last week, and was at a multi-artist benefit concert where Ben Taylor (James' son) came out to do a few songs. He came on stage with a uke, and did a solo version of Ukulele Lady, then switched off to guitar for his other songs. That was a surprise!

John, how lovely!
That's one I would have liked to have seen!

I had a Hawaiian vacation in June - and our very first night there we went to a little restaurant in Kailua where a great band was playing. We were jet-lagged and totally exhausted so we didn’t hang out there long - we just ate and then went back to our room to crash hard. But I was loving hearing good live Hawaiian music for the first time.

A week later it was our last night on Oahu - and as kind of a last minute idea we thought why not stop by that same restaurant again and see if any they have any live music. So we popped in there on a whim - and lucky us! As it turned out Ledward Kaapana was in there! It seemed like he was there with a bunch of family and friends for a private party and they were all taking turns singing and playing together from the stage. We got to hear Led sing and play, and all of his talented friends and family taking turns together too. I’m sure the other players we heard that night would be well known too - Led was the only one I recognized by name but they all appeared to be great local musicians. It was a super nice treat for us being it was our first time in Hawaii, our last night in Oahu, and we just happened to stumble across all of this by chance. I really loved that we got to see and hear all of that.

Leonard? Wow, very cool.
We didn't expect Glenn Roethel to whip out a soprano uke, and dance up the isle, the last time he came to town.
He did his song No Problems. We liked it so much, we bought his songbook and asked him if we could present it in ALF shows.
He gave us his blessing.
Another time, a gentleman who plays guitar/writes/sings professionally showed up in our church with a nice Mya Moe and played it on a couple of songs. I forgot his name.

Top Bottom