Do you share?

Rllink

Reaction score
Do you share gear with your ukes, like cases, straps, tuners, gig bags, etc, or does each uke get its own set of duplicate accoutrements?

Last edited:
I use just the one tuner for everything, from zither via ukuleles, psaltery and mandolins to guitars, dulcimers and banjos. I nearly bought an auto-harp yesterday, but managed to resist!

Each instrument has it's own strap, as necessary, many individually made for the specific instrument and all adjusted exactly to my requirements. Most instruments have their own plectrums (picks), I use a wide range, from thin nylon on a couple of my ukuleles to a fairly solid "wedge" on my bass guitar.

Most instruments rarely leave the house, but, as and when, there's a few generic and a couple of specific bags and cases that get used as needed.

My ukes has their own straps, no reason to take them off and on all the time.
I have a few electronic tuners, but they are not dedicated to specific ukuleles.
Since I am a bit short on cases, some ukes share a bit depending on what I need. My three concert scale ukes share a gigbag and a hard case. Usually my Kamaka Tiki is stored in the hard case, the gigbag is used for which ever I want to bring somewhere.

Each ukulele has it’s own case and humidifier. Many of the cases are black but others are a color and if possible a hard case. The few that are in Fremont cases are due to size issues for the scale length, such as a 5 string with a bigger headstock, or a pineapple. About half have a tuner and I would prefer each having it’s own. This has made it easy always being able to have a tuner handy and if the battery goes. I don’t use a strap but if I did they would have their own for time saving and ease of use. For those critics remember each to their own. Happy strumming :)

The only thing that the ukuleles share are tuners. (And me.)
They each have their own case, strap, and humidifier.

Every uke is enclosed - from gigbag to hard shell case - but the hard cases might migrate between ukes. I found it easier to get several gigbags and one foam and one hard case in each size so I have something sturdy for travel.

Straps are uke specific. All have their own wipedown cloth (usually old pajamas cut into squares). I use humidifiers in each in the winter and most are made from pill bottles. I share tuners. I have one uke stand and one iRig.

Attachments

• IMG_20160331_173845817.jpg
    IMG_20160331_173845817.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Each one of my ukes has a Sherrins strap, hard case, and humidifier. The exception is the Blackbird Clara, that lives in the Gator case that it came in, no humidifier. Each uke also has a soft gig bag. I have 2 tuners that move between gig bags and another one that stays in my office/music room.
The Sherrins straps were picked to compliment each ukes look or personality.

Each of mine has its own micro tuner on the headstock, but that's more for convenience than anything else, so I can just pick up and play instead of going looking for one. Everything else gets shared :)

Each uke has its own strap that is removed if the uke goes in a hard case.

I keep my ukes in humidified rooms. But if I'm gone for a few weeks, they all go in separate cases.

Tuners are shared. And I have one UkeKrazy foam case that I carry the uke I'll be playing at my uke club or a gig.

I keep a humidifier or humidifier pack in each case.

Everyone of my ukes (9) and bass ukes/mini bass guitars (25) has it's own tuner and strap. I use one gig bag for the ukes and one for the basses, with a couple extra of each in case an instrument has to go in for work. i store 8 ukes in a humidified cabinet/bookshelf in the living room, and a Fluke hangs on a stand all the time for quick access. The basses hang on a rack on a wall in my second bedroom office/music room.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I share stuff like that with other members of the band. They nick-named me "Technical Jim" or "TJ" for short because I almost always have spare batteries, etc.

Each uke has its own hard case, and humidification and cleaning cloths. I have several tuners that are lying around for easy reach, but no tuner for a specific uke. Tools, strings, extra humidification electronics and spares are stored in a large carry-on type bag. There are a couple of gig bags around that I have never used.

Each of my ukes has its own set of strings.

Each of my stringed instruments, except my Baritone Ukulele, has its own case or gig bag.
Sometimes when traveling or gigging, an ukulele my ride in a different case than it "lives" in or was purchased with.
I do not have straps for each instrument. I don't use them that often, so I will affix one if I think I will need it.
I have several tuners, but not as many as I have instruments.
The main reason they switch cases is that I have one suede-like case which fits the Compass Rose best, but if I am taking it outside and the weather is damp, I may switch to a plastic case that is more wet-friendly, for example.
Also, some cases/bags have backpack straps, so I f I need to go hands-free I might move the desired instrument into one of those cases or bags. All cases/bags have a micofiber cloth and some wet-naps tucked in them, for wiping down the instrument and washing your hands prior to playing.

Each of mine has its own micro tuner on the headstock, but that's more for convenience than anything else, so I can just pick up and play instead of going looking for one. Everything else gets shared :)

The Snark tuner instruction sheet, which no one ever reads, begins by telling you that you should tune your instrument, then remove the tuner from the instrument. Apparently the softeners in the rubber pads can interact with the finish on your instruments if they are left on for a period of time. The same thing goes for Vinyl backed straps or clip on capos. You should also never leave an instrument on a naugahyde or vinyl couch or chair for the same reason.
I do know a player who took a chunk of the decal off the headstock of his Martin by leaving a tuner clipped tp it.

Last edited:
The chemicals in the leather ends of a strap can discolor the finish of your uke if left on the uke for a long period of time. And the material of the strap can also imprint a pattern into the instrument's surface. Just as the lid strap in a hard case can.

They all have their own bag but I hang 3 of them. Only two straps for the ukuleles (which I made).
My son's bass has its own stand and strap (to encourage playing). All instruments share the one tuner, which is not that ideal.
5 ukes, ubass, and electric bass.

Top Bottom