Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: NUD: Blackbird Clara!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    290

    Default NUD: Blackbird Clara!

    I'm not the best about NUDs. But, I pulled the trigger on a slightly used Blackbird Clara from HMS. Of course FedEx kept it over the weekend in their warehouse, but since it is E-Koa and supposedly impervious to humidity problems and moderate temperature changes, I wasn't too concerned.

    I only spent a little time with her yesterday. She is LOUD. I would say, she is louder than my Blackbird Farallon. Almost as if there is a built-in amplifier. It really fills the room. Sound is very similar to the Farallon which surprised me.

    I do notice that the scale is shorter and the lack of fretboard dots on the fretboard will take some getting used to. Also played with the Anuenue Air Air pickup. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do as this is my first instrument with a pickup. Looks like two knobs. one is for volume? I don't know what the other is for. I also have no idea how to change the battery when that time comes. I'm going to take her to work today and see if I can find some time to play with her a bit.

    I know - pictures or it didn't happen. Cheers!

    IMG_7184.jpgIMG_7185.jpgIMG_7183.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Two beauties! It looks like the Clara is low-G.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Congrats! The Clara is a lil beast!
    Moon Bird UC200 - High G - Black Water
    Blackbird Clara Sunburst - Low G - Fremont
    Kanile’a K-2 Premium Concert - High G - Living Water
    KoAloha KCO-10 Acacia - High G - Stock
    Flea Concert - High G - Living Water
    Aiersi OU-31M - High G - Worth

    If you Uke easy, life will be hard. If you Uke hard, life will be easy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Two beauties! It looks like the Clara is low-G.
    Thanks Jerryc41 and Kibes 37!

    Yes, she came strung with what looks like a Fremont Soloist Low G and Worth Browns. I am still surprised how loud and clear she is.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,074

    Default

    Very nice!
    Congrats!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ma., Ga., Fl.
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    Congrats......I know you will enjoy it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Congratulations Ghostrdr, that’s great news! 2 beauties!
    Happy just to be a Newbie, Penny

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    I'm not the best about NUDs. But, I pulled the trigger on a slightly used Blackbird Clara from HMS. Of course FedEx kept it over the weekend in their warehouse, but since it is E-Koa and supposedly impervious to humidity problems and moderate temperature changes, I wasn't too concerned.

    I only spent a little time with her yesterday. She is LOUD. I would say, she is louder than my Blackbird Farallon. Almost as if there is a built-in amplifier. It really fills the room. Sound is very similar to the Farallon which surprised me.

    I do notice that the scale is shorter and the lack of fretboard dots on the fretboard will take some getting used to. Also played with the Anuenue Air Air pickup. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do as this is my first instrument with a pickup. Looks like two knobs. one is for volume? I don't know what the other is for. I also have no idea how to change the battery when that time comes. I'm going to take her to work today and see if I can find some time to play with her a bit.

    I know - pictures or it didn't happen. Cheers!

    IMG_7184.jpgIMG_7185.jpgIMG_7183.jpg
    Congrats on the beautiful Blackbirds. Interesting to hear your impressions of the Clara compared to the Farallon. Just makes me want to try a Clara all the more. I have an aNueNue air pick up and yes one of the knobs is volume and the other controls the mix of mic and pickup. At 0- it's all pickup. Turned up all the way is 50/50 pickup and microphone. I find I prefer the 50/50 setting on my Moonbird.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison


    the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Hi Ghost, that's a great-looking (and I'm sure great-sounding) instrument! As for the "no dots on the fretboard" factor, I think you can look at that as a "liberating" feature rather than a "limiting" feature, as you'll soon find that your "feel" for where you are on the fretboard will be keener and more confident. Just bear with it and I think you'll agree. Plus, it's nice not to have those dots appearing in "odd" locations when you utilize a capo on either the first or third fret! So, I'd say, embrace that no-dot feature! Congrats and have fun with it!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etudes View Post
    Congrats on the beautiful Blackbirds. Interesting to hear your impressions of the Clara compared to the Farallon. Just makes me want to try a Clara all the more. I have an aNueNue air pick up and yes one of the knobs is volume and the other controls the mix of mic and pickup. At 0- it's all pickup. Turned up all the way is 50/50 pickup and microphone. I find I prefer the 50/50 setting on my Moonbird.
    Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. So, I do have a question, what is the difference between pickup and microphone? Is the pickup the part that is under the saddle that is capturing the vibrations from the strings to the saddle? What is the microphone then? Any idea how to change the battery when the time comes?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •