Superheated Steam

Timbuck

Reaction score
Here's an interesting thing about steam...when you use a wet rag on a hot pipe or bending iron with a backing strip at over 100 C you are actually creating superheated steam which has a lot more heat energy than normal steam..so using a steam box is not as hot as the wet rag and backing strip...Unless you make a superheated steam box.;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=R9uvIhgVz04

Last edited:
Seems like more a demonstration of dry steam. Superheated steam can still be wet depending on the pressure, but I'm nit picking :p:rolleyes::p

Well, this answers a question I have always had... however I'm not sure that when you bend with wet sides you are superheating steam. I think the water and steam soften the fibres. Please prove me wrong.

In the vid they are heating a little area with a lot of energy and the water vapor is being brought up to those temperatures. On a hot pipe or under a blanket the water flashes off as steam but the temperature does not get much over the boiling point. The steam gets the heck out of the way rather than sticking around and picking up more energy.

Top Bottom