Staining fretboard

valde002

Reaction score
One of the things that stops me from buying a new Kala uke is the walnut fretboard. It is lighter in color, and pale compared to the rosewood fretboards and makes me feel it is cheapy and out of place. I believe Kala used to make rosewood fretboards but have since changed to walnut.

Is staining the fretboard going to change anything about the sound? My impression is no, that it would be fine. Has anyone stained their purchased fretboard(s)?

I have never tried this, so I will mention it without either endorsing or recommending it. I have seen reference to guitarists applying dark brown boot polish (NOT leather dye) to darken pale Rosewood and Pau Ferro fret boards. It will, of course, only be effective on the lighter parts of the grain pattern. If you do try it, do it sparingly and evenly until you achieve the required (or any significant) colour change. It seems unlikely that something that preserves and colours leather will have a detrimental effect on wood. Do NOT try this on light coloured, coarse-grained woods, as ugly blotching is likely. Letting it dry and buffing between several sessions may help. If you decide to give it a go please post back with the results, as this is now a common complaint due to the scarcity of old world Rosewoods.

I have never tried this, so I will mention it without either endorsing or recommending it. I have seen reference to guitarists applying dark brown boot polish (NOT leather dye) to darken pale Rosewood and Pau Ferro fret boards. It will, of course, only be effective on the lighter parts of the grain pattern. If you do try it, do it sparingly and evenly until you achieve the required (or any significant) colour change. It seems unlikely that something that preserves and colours leather will have a detrimental effect on wood. Do NOT try this on light coloured, coarse-grained woods, as ugly blotching is likely. Letting it dry and buffing between several sessions may help. If you decide to give it a go please post back with the results, as this is now a common complaint due to the scarcity of old world Rosewoods.

Yes, if the OP does try this method please do post back with pictures of the results. I would be very interested to see how it turns out.

I have used a black spirit stain on a light Bridge before, not sure if I still have the before and after photos but I remember it worked really well and I was very pleased with the results. The spirit stain initially covered the white screw covers (as shown) but this rubbed off the covers.

P1090246 2.jpg
IMG_0123 2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the CITES inspired new diversity of fretboard choices. Kanile'a is using walnut on their new oha line and it really works.

Kanile'a can certainly pimp out a uke (not a criticism) with the best and it’s nice to see they can do a great job on a new creation with a different feel.

Looking forward to enjoying more new looks.

Top Bottom