Best Tuning App for iPhone

UkeDoxie

Reaction score
Good morning!

I am not sure why, but I never put a tuning app on my phone. Just thinking I probably should. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If its free yes.

If its paid for no.

If you do then a comparative test of the apps accuracy would be a good idea

I really like Tunable. It is designed for to help players with intonation, so it is a bit of overkill for a 4 stringed, plucked instrument, but it’s really nice. I think I paid more than the current $4 price many years ago, it’s worth well more than that to me as I also play the bagpipes.

"Uke Tuner", for me. Simple interface, all the usual tunings, create your own custom tunings (Bb in the attached pic), corresponding chord charts, metronome.

Last edited:
Cleartune works great.

While we are at it, Tempo is a great metronome app

Cleartune works great.

While we are at it, Tempo is a great metronome app

As tuners go, for all instruments, Cleartune has been around a LONG time, and was even abandoned for a while, but the developer came back with a new version...making a lot of people happy. A lot of people like Cleartune because of its retro look.

That said, Peterson also has an app...iStroboSoft...which a lot of band directors say is better than the actual Peterson tuners...

And the tuner that is universally loved by band directors is Tonal Energy Tuner.

These are all not-ukulele specific, but would of course, work with ukulele.

if You are in a group, you can usually borrow a clip on tuner.

OTOH, when I’m alone, in a shop, testing a Ukulele, I trust my ear to get close to the third string being close...
And then I tune the instrument to itself.
Playing by oneself, all that matters is all 4 strings being ‘in tune’ with each other

As tuners go, for all instruments, Cleartune has been around a LONG time, and was even abandoned for a while, but the developer came back with a new version...making a lot of people happy. A lot of people like Cleartune because of its retro look.

That said, Peterson also has an app...iStroboSoft...which a lot of band directors say is better than the actual Peterson tuners...

And the tuner that is universally loved by band directors is Tonal Energy Tuner.

These are all not-ukulele specific, but would of course, work with ukulele.

I know other music teachers who use Tonal Energy, which I tried briefly, but hated the interface and found a little gimmicky. (It may be that I prefer a more straight ahead design) I know some that like iStrobosoft, which I have been interested in trying, although it is a little pricey.

Any of the works well and have plenty of fans.

Pano Tuner (by Kaleloft LLC) is a popular chromatic tuning app.

Another vote for Ukulele Tuner; very simple interface, also has some chord charts. Seems to be accurate

I was using "PanoTuner" and have started using the newer "Tune Again" (both from Kaleloft). They are both free, bare bone tuners. There are adds but they don't get in the way. I have never tried to verify them with another tuner but they seem to work fine.

I use the one in GuitarToolkit since I use that for so many other things - not free though

iStroboSoft user here. Best $10.00 I've spent on the App Store (with one possible exception being Korg's iDS-10 app). I use a always-on pedal-format tuner when on stage, but I prefer iStroboSoft for practicing long tone scales and recording. It latches onto the pitch quickly and provides a reliable cents indicator to get close and a strobe display to dial in the pitch. It also visualizes waveforms and harmonics and provides a nicely sweetened tuning for concert-scale ukes (works pretty well for tenor ukes as well).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the extra visualization tools, harmonic tuning tools, sweetened tunings, etc. cost extra. The $10.00 base price provides the essentials, but the price can climb to $50.00 if you want all the features (still a good deal compared to other tuners on the market).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great recommendations!

Top Bottom