Guitalele with 20 inch scale

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I recently learned that there is a Guitalele with a 20 inch scale. Can anyone provide any information on this instrument? Width of nut? How doe it sound in your opinion? A link to purchase on line would be good. From this end I searched and could find nothing on a 20 inch scale Guitalele. I have a Yamaha GL1 with a 17 inch scale.

I think Pono makes a 20" scale guilele. Model name is MB6 and AB6. Nut width id about 45 mm, from what I have been told. Another option would be the two guilele models from Romero Creations. Those have a nut width of about 48 mm, if I remember correctly.

Cordoba Mini is a good one. I had one for awhile before my custom 19" got done. I should have a few posts on it. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try to find and include links here.

My impression is that the Islander GL6 and the Cordoba Mini might come from the same Chinese factory. Very similar necks, tuners, veneers, etc.

Hi, Johnny! There are some 21 and 19 inch models but 20 inch models are not so many. We have found these 4 models so far. There is huge price range.

Hello,

On the Bay, search for "baritone guitarlele" (not "guitalele"!), several instruments from Taiwan will show up. I once had one with massive spruce top, it was fairly good.
Otherwise, Kmise recently launched a baritone guitarlele, laminated top but with a tuss-rod, which is a very interesting feature. I have several Kmise ukes and they are incredibly good for their low price tag. You can find them on Amazon.
Hope this helps,
Cheers.

Hi, gilles T! Your key words "baritone guitalele" works for me. This one is 20 inch with 1 7/8 nut width. Thanks.

Cordoba Mini is a good one. I had one for awhile before my custom 19" got done. I should have a few posts on it. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try to find and include links here.

Jim, you have a lot of post. About when, month and year if possible would be helpful. I looked through about 5 pages but there is many more.

The Mini has a 20"scale and the Mini II has a 22 inch scale, is that correct? I ask because on Amazon I could only find Mini II with a 22 inch scale.

Hi, Johnny! There are some 21 and 19 inch models but 20 inch models are not so many. We have found these 4 models so far. There is huge price range.

I could easily fall in love with a Kanile'a GL-6 or better, however, I am not sure it is worth a divorce due to price to obtain one. The Romero Baritone 6 is also a beautiful and desirable instrument. This AS is hell. If I could just get the wife to love playing guitar and love it, then I could buy her one for Christmas or birthday.:) So, back on earth, I am considering a Cordoba Mini or SSG-8. Still reseaching both.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

I could easily fall in love with a Kanile'a GL-6 or better, however, I am not sure it is worth a divorce due to price to obtain one. The Romero Baritone 6 is also a beautiful and desirable instrument. This AS is hell. If I could just get the wife to love playing guitar and love it, then I could buy her one for Christmas or birthday.:) So, back on earth, I am considering a Cordoba Mini or SSG-8. Still reseaching both.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Very limited experience here, but I have played a Cordoba Mini M and I liked it a lot.

I have a RC Baritone 6, GL-6 and a Mini R. The Mini R is great for only two bills but the Baritone 6 and GL-6 are so much better in terms of tone and feel the Mini never comes out of the case anymore. Of the three I prefer the sound and playability of the Baritone 6: perfect balance between bass and trebles, long sustain, plenty of overtones and a delicate voice extremely responsive to color changes. The balance of the instrument is also perfect and I can play it sitting down, with a strap or crossed legged on the floor and it kinda floats and lets my hands move freely. However, I find the 49mm nut a little on the small size and have to be careful I don't mute adjacent strings. The GL-6 is a bit of a strange bird with a super tenor body and really long neck (joins at the 16th fret!). It's shockingly neck heavy and really only playable with a strap or footstool (classical style). With that said, it has a more traditional classical guitar like tone than the Baritone 6 and the wider nut is a joy to play on. String resistance is on the stiff side so it needs to be more lightly strung than a tenor or baritone ukulele.

Jim, you have a lot of post. About when, month and year if possible would be helpful. I looked through about 5 pages but there is many more.

The Mini has a 20"scale and the Mini II has a 22 inch scale, is that correct? I ask because on Amazon I could only find Mini II with a 22 inch scale.

You are correct, the Mini has a 20” scale length. The new Mini II has a larger body and a 22” scale length. The Cordoba website gives all the details, it is an excellent source of info.

The Kmise (available on Amazon) has a 21" scale. Not very expensive.

Well I have been having second thoughts about Guitalele and my short scale guitars. My Yamaha CS40 has a 23 inch scale. But my Aria A 20-53 has a 21 inch scale. So basically I have a Guitalele with a little larger body than normal for a Guitalele. Would there be much difference in the sound of the Aria as compared with the Guitalele.? Would strings for a 21 inch scale Guitalele work and sound right on a 21 inch scale guitar?

Well I have been having second thoughts about Guitalele and my short scale guitars. My Yamaha CS40 has a 23 inch scale. But my Aria A 20-53 has a 21 inch scale. So basically I have a Guitalele with a little larger body than normal for a Guitalele. Would there be much difference in the sound of the Aria as compared with the Guitalele.? Would strings for a 21 inch scale Guitalele work and sound right on a 21 inch scale guitar?

Here is the tricky part.......tuning. A “guitalele” is usually or typically tuned A-A the guitar is E-E. Strings are very different diameters and tensions. You can tune a guitalele E-E using high tension classical guitar strings, I have that on my Pepe Romero which is a 20” scale.

Top Bottom