Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1940's Martin Soprano

Default 1940's Martin Soprano

I bought this as a comparison model, so that I can take measurements and compare them to the other Martin that I already own. All these style 0 ukes seem to be slightly different to each other due to the different craftsmen who made them at the factory over the years. This one arrived today from the US well packed in two large boxes with enough polystyrene chippings to fill a paddling pool I tuned it up straight from the box and gave it a strum..It was tinny sounding lacking in mid tone and volume in fact quite disappointing maybe this is down to a couple of small cracks on the edge of the lower bout soundboard or the ancient strings that came with it...So I'll gave it a a good refurb/TLC repair the cracks fit some new strings and see if it improves. I will report back later.
    s-l500 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    martin close up by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 08-07-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

What vintage have you used previously as your model? (you may have mentioned before, but I don't recall)

It looks like a nice example of the type, Ken, but those strings look awful! I'd wager that a set of Worths - or even some fishing line! - will show its true colours.

John Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    What vintage have you used previously as your model? (you may have mentioned before, but I don't recall)
    1930's is the first one. this 1940's has some differences first thing i've noticed is the headstock angle and nut transition.I'll show some sketches later.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 08-07-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    1030's is the first one. this 1940's has some differences first thing i've noticed is the headstock angle and nut transition.I'll show some sketches later.
    Wow, that is downright medieval!

I'd be interested to hear what differences you find and what effect you think they have.

I hope your vaccinations are up to date before touching those strings!

Are those natural gut, or just vintage nylon strings?
    Rodney Paul Adams

I suspect that the further back you go with Martin, or any factory instrument, the more "handmade" they become. That allows for more mistakes, or drifting from the plan, than actual design changes. I have a 1920's Martin "0", with the name stamped on the back of the head from before they had the decal. It's in good shape still, and although it is not a great sounding uke, It's amazing that it is still a playable instrument after nearly 100 years! We should all be so lucky with our work

I fixed the cracks and one or two other defects, like the end of the nut had broken off. Then I gave it to Mrs T to clean up and refurb the FP. She started off cleaning off the dirt, which turns out to be around 65 years of thick layers of nicotine contamination. Yuck !!...No wonder the old nylon strings looked like Worth Browns.

IMG_4256 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 08-09-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    ...No wonder the old nylon strings looked like Worth Browns.
    Still waiting to hear what it sounds like with new strings.

Thread Information